Recommended sources for F&I era clothing and accouterments?

Discussion in 'General Reenacting Discussions' started by Armando, Feb 11, 2020.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Feb 11, 2020 #1

Armando

Armando

Armando

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Trying to get my kit together to participate in juried F&I era events.
    Looks like I need to start from ground up since even my breeches are too late (drop front).

Any reliable easy-to-use sources for F&I era clothing and accouterments?

2. Feb 11, 2020 #2

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

My favorite clothing source, besides what I sew for myself, is Cobb Creek. Kathy will provide great clothing. She is one of the vendors that passes the 18th century jury requirements for the Trade Faire at Fort de Chartres in April.

http://cobbcreek.com/

Cruzatte and Armando like this.
  3. Feb 11, 2020 #3

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

FIRST...,

You need to obtain and read Tidings From The Eighteenth Century by Beth Gilgun. https://www.amazon.com/Tidings-Eighteenth-Century-Beth-Gilgun/dp/B01M1NHKV1
    Because, while the recommended vendor makes some very nice stuff..., YOU need to know the differences in the clothing styles so that you can take advantage of things like "blanket trades" [used stuff sold] at events. By far the best way to stretch your clothing budget for historic stuff. Between 1750 and 1770 there was a big shift in Men's clothing...

LD

blackhorse, Brokennock and Armando like this.
  4. Feb 11, 2020 #4

Armando

Armando

Armando

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Looks like that book is not available on Amazon. Sounds like something I must have for my library

5. Feb 11, 2020 #5

Coot

Coot

Coot

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

As of now, the best on line locator (they are a search engine, not a vendor) for books is: bookfinder.com
    They search thousands of selling sites for new, used, out of print & antiquarian books. Bookfinder currently shows many copies of Beth's book for sale.

And to echo an earlier post - you must do research. Try to determine what was common rather than trying to "justify" some thing that looks "neat" or is a "bargin". Some vendors are true experts in their fields while others simply sell what is popular or profitable, whether correct or not. Those that I would trust implicitly are few but include: Burnley & Towbridge - fabrics, District 96 - also fabrics, Blue Cat Buttonworks - buttons, Clay Smith - flintlocks, Scott Summerville - knives, William Booth Draper - frabics, Roy Najecki - military gear, William Tooms (sp?) - camp furniture. My apologies to those that do not immediately come to mind. As a final comment, some events are more jurried than others. Fort Ticonderoga used to have a pretty decent list of "acceptable, better & so good to see you" gear.

Armando likes this.
  6. Feb 11, 2020 #6

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

Armando likes this.
  7. Feb 12, 2020 #7

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Armando and Brokennock like this.
  8. Feb 13, 2020 #8

Armando

Armando

Armando

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

This was great..thank you! I made a whole folder of bookmarked links!

9. Feb 13, 2020 #9

Coot

Coot

Coot

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

You are welcome. Sadly many of the supplies for our hobby come from one horse shops & much of my gear came from sources no longer available.

Armando likes this.
  10. Feb 15, 2020 #10

Stophel

Stophel

Stophel

75 Cal.

I'll second Cobb Creek. I have a pair of their fly front breeches that I am currently doing some minor retailoring to fit my unique physique. I also have a coat that I had them make for me out of some wool that I sent them.

Fall front breeches actually go way back. At least to the 1730's. They are a German invention, and are seen in Austria and SW Germany that far back, and it spread slowly from there. The English seem to have begun adopting them sometime in the 1760's, or close to 1770 (at least as far as I can tell, but England is not my area of interest), but they did not fully replace fly front breeches, and you will continue to see the "unstylish" fly front breeches much later than you are "supposed to".

Cruzatte likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted