Recommended sources for F&I era clothing and accouterments?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Armando

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to get my kit together to participate in juried F&I era events.
Looks like I need to start from ground up since even my breeches are too late (drop front).

Any reliable easy-to-use sources for F&I era clothing and accouterments?

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
FIRST...,

You need to obtain and read Tidings From The Eighteenth Century by Beth Gilgun. https://www.amazon.com/Tidings-Eighteenth-Century-Beth-Gilgun/dp/B01M1NHKV1
Because, while the recommended vendor makes some very nice stuff..., YOU need to know the differences in the clothing styles so that you can take advantage of things like "blanket trades" [used stuff sold] at events. By far the best way to stretch your clothing budget for historic stuff. Between 1750 and 1770 there was a big shift in Men's clothing...

LD

Armando

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
FIRST...,

You need to obtain and read Tidings From The Eighteenth Century by Beth Gilgun. https://www.amazon.com/Tidings-Eighteenth-Century-Beth-Gilgun/dp/B01M1NHKV1
Because, while the recommended vendor makes some very nice stuff..., YOU need to know the differences in the clothing styles so that you can take advantage of things like "blanket trades" [used stuff sold] at events. By far the best way to stretch your clothing budget for historic stuff. Between 1750 and 1770 there was a big shift in Men's clothing...

LD

Looks like that book is not available on Amazon. Sounds like something I must have for my library

Coot

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like that book is not available on Amazon. Sounds like something I must have for my library
As of now, the best on line locator (they are a search engine, not a vendor) for books is: bookfinder.com
They search thousands of selling sites for new, used, out of print & antiquarian books. Bookfinder currently shows many copies of Beth's book for sale.

And to echo an earlier post - you must do research. Try to determine what was common rather than trying to "justify" some thing that looks "neat" or is a "bargin". Some vendors are true experts in their fields while others simply sell what is popular or profitable, whether correct or not. Those that I would trust implicitly are few but include: Burnley & Towbridge - fabrics, District 96 - also fabrics, Blue Cat Buttonworks - buttons, Clay Smith - flintlocks, Scott Summerville - knives, William Booth Draper - frabics, Roy Najecki - military gear, William Tooms (sp?) - camp furniture. My apologies to those that do not immediately come to mind. As a final comment, some events are more jurried than others. Fort Ticonderoga used to have a pretty decent list of "acceptable, better & so good to see you" gear.

Armando

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As of now, the best on line locator (they are a search engine, not a vendor) for books is: bookfinder.com
They search thousands of selling sites for new, used, out of print & antiquarian books. Bookfinder currently shows many copies of Beth's book for sale.

And to echo an earlier post - you must do research. Try to determine what was common rather than trying to "justify" some thing that looks "neat" or is a "bargin". Some vendors are true experts in their fields while others simply sell what is popular or profitable, whether correct or not. Those that I would trust implicitly are few but include: Burnley & Towbridge - fabrics, District 96 - also fabrics, Blue Cat Buttonworks - buttons, Clay Smith - flintlocks, Scott Summerville - knives, William Booth Draper - frabics, Roy Najecki - military gear, William Tooms (sp?) - camp furniture. My apologies to those that do not immediately come to mind. As a final comment, some events are more jurried than others. Fort Ticonderoga used to have a pretty decent list of "acceptable, better & so good to see you" gear.
This was great..thank you! I made a whole folder of bookmarked links!

Coot

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
You are welcome. Sadly many of the supplies for our hobby come from one horse shops & much of my gear came from sources no longer available.

Stophel

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Looks like I need to start from ground up since even my breeches are too late (drop front).

I'll second Cobb Creek. I have a pair of their fly front breeches that I am currently doing some minor retailoring to fit my unique physique. I also have a coat that I had them make for me out of some wool that I sent them.

Fall front breeches actually go way back. At least to the 1730's. They are a German invention, and are seen in Austria and SW Germany that far back, and it spread slowly from there. The English seem to have begun adopting them sometime in the 1760's, or close to 1770 (at least as far as I can tell, but England is not my area of interest), but they did not fully replace fly front breeches, and you will continue to see the "unstylish" fly front breeches much later than you are "supposed to".

colmoultrie

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
And if a jury is looking askance at your drop front breeches, your waistcoat is too short, or someone is being far too nosey!

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
Always keep in mind that even the best sellers sell stuff. They don’t care what they sell you, other then it’s quality stuff. So they mix and match. So be sure of what you want when buy it. Even the best seller isn’t there to teach

Gooba Jones

Beyond the Great Divide 5/23/20
Reaction score
I also suggest Cobb creek for breeches, the staff there are very helpful and knowledgeable. Towndsends Also has allot of good clothing and accesories too.

Gooba Jones

Belleville

32 Cal.
Reaction score

Who, what, when and where? If we knew more about what you want, would be a lot easier to help you! Your question is too broad to attempt the answer you seek.

Gooba Jones

Beyond the Great Divide 5/23/20
Reaction score
Agreed with what Belleville has stated above. A Frenchman in Quebec and a Carolina woodsman are going to dress differently because of geographical distance, nationality, age, status, etc..

Gooba Jones

Latest posts