• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Recommended 777 FFFg loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfman0125

40 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommended safe 777 FFFg loads for .36 and .44 and Walker revolvers? I know it is hotter than Goex or other propellants or BP. Also I know it differs depending on the projectile. Need info for both round ball and conicals for all 3 calibers.

Same as black powder. Whatever is "most accurate with whatever projectile your shooting" all the way up to " as much powder as you can use and still seat the projectile ". I would avoid the max loads (with any powder) untill the arbor length is fixed though (unless the .36 is a Pietta of recent Manu.).

Mike

777 is noted as being hotter than goex black powder. In revolvers you are plenty safe to use maximum volume loads. But for target shooting that may not be your most accurate load.

I use 30gr of 3Fg BP in my Ruger Old Army.

And I use the same measure for T7, but it only WEIGHS around 26gr.

Same volume though.

Results are pretty much identical, although the BP smells like a cow f*rt, and the T7 like an explosion in a sugar beet processing factory.

777 is noted as being hotter than goex black powder. In revolvers you are plenty safe to use maximum volume loads. But for target shooting that may not be your most accurate load.
Gotcha. Yeah I’m not trying to see how much powder I can stuff in there but making sure I can’t overdo it and have the cylinder explode on me.

So max loads with higher pressures are not a concern with Triple 7?
The same loads you’ve used with Swiss or Olde Eynsford will work just fine. T7 compresses differently from Swiss. So you can get 5 grains or so more powder in the.44’s. I don’t but you could.

I use 30gr of 3Fg BP in my Ruger Old Army.

And I use the same measure for T7, but it only WEIGHS around 26gr.

Same volume though.

Results are pretty much identical, although the BP smells like a cow f*rt, and the T7 like an explosion in a sugar beet processing factory.
Yes, T7 smells weird. Shoots great and cleans up easily but that smell!

Yes. The Subs are less dense than the real thing, but as they BOTH measure by VOLUME the result is the same - more or less.

If you were to weigh out 30gr of T7 you'd quickly see that it would overfill a measure set for BP.

Effectively, you get more bang for your buck from a pound of the subs that from a pound of BP.

In fact, I'll go and do it right now, as I have both readily to hand in the shed.

I'll be back.

I just purchased the last 2 containers of T7 at Bass Pro Shops that they had available within 150 miles of me online last night. Everywhere else it is saying out of stock no backorder.

Back