• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendations to .451 Parker Hale Volunteer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the recommended bullet type and weight for this rifle? I have found few different bullets from 450 gr to 530 gr. Also casting my own bullets is one option so what bullet mould should be used?

Serial number for this particulary rifle is 3xx so it is one of the first ones if this makes some difference on later ones. It is two strap model not three one.

Also other information regarding this rifle is more than welcomed. I have searched forum and there has been little information but not too much or I might be blind

The Lyman Black Powder Handbook and Loading Manual says .451 cal 32” barrel 1 - 20 twist firing a 475gr (Lyman #457121) Using Goex gives lods from 50gr to 130gr in 10 gr incriments. It also gives the loads for Pyrodex and for Elephant.
These are Lyman loads NOT mine. Be careful. If you use this information start at the lowest and work up from there.

The Lyman 451114 (Volunteer Mold) is a great one for the rifle…
Buffalo Arms also sells swaged Paper Patch bullets (you patch) in various weights & diameters to try.. I believe they are 500 & 530gr.
The 52bore- 0.451”, 1:20 twist with a 530gr projectile over 68gr powder was established by Whitworth in his trials in the 1850’s.
Good luck

What is the recommended bullet type and weight for this rifle? I have found few different bullets from 450 gr to 530 gr. Also casting my own bullets is one option so what bullet mould should be used?

Serial number for this particulary rifle is 3xx so it is one of the first ones if this makes some difference on later ones. It is two strap model not three one.

Also other information regarding this rifle is more than welcomed. I have searched forum and there has been little information but not too much or I might be blind
You could use any bullet that fits. From 240 grains to over 500 it will shoot them all. If you intend target shooting at long range, heavy bullets, over 500 grains and powder charges up to 130 grains or so. For shorter range shooting, lighter bullets and charges will suffice. I don’t own a Volunteer but I have a few purpose built.45’s including a couple of the Rigby rifles and a great short range, (under 300 yards) bullet is the Lyman 330 grain Goulds bullet, ditto for the Accurate Molds 45-340I bullet. I often load 70 grains of Swiss for a gentle recoiling plinking load.

@ResearchPress can really shed light on the subject.

Lyman 457121 is the one you want use approx 90-95 gr goex 2fg with a felt lubed under wad.
If you can still buy a platinum lined nipple I highly recommend them

With that serial number I would anticipate the rifle is one of the first model ‘Volunteer‘ with Rigby style rifling. The bullet referred to by 52Bore above has been a popular choice.

I had a Volunteer but with the later Henry rifling - had good success with a 530 grain grease groove bullet and 90 grains of TPPH (similar to Swiss No. 4 (1.5Fg)), and shooting out to 600 yards.

David

Back