• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendations on SxS?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
swathdiver said:
Navy Arms marketed and sold both Pietta and Pedersoli shotguns. Point being, describing the gun as Navy Arms does not accurately describe what it is or who made it.

The Pietta shotgun, the version made from the 1970s until at least the 1980s was patterned after the Westley Richards SxS shotgun, right down to the weight added to the stock. Pietta made another, less ornate gun later on and stopped making them altogether in 1994.

The Pedersoli doubles are modeled after a version of the Greeners, but as most know, there was an early 13-14 gauge model, very light in weight of about 5 1/2 pounds made from the 1970s into the early 1980s when they beefed them up and made them 12 gauges, much larger but in the same style. These weigh about 7 pounds if memory serves. My earliest one of these was made in 1985 and the latest 2006. I think they still make them in this manner without chokes.

As for me, the little Pedersoli comes right up on the sights, the Pietta almost as good. The Pietta being heavier is easier on my old worn out shoulder.

The Pietta's weak link is the pot metal bridles that fall apart. Fortunately, we can still get them from Flintlocks Etc.
My light 1972 pedersoli is 12g and I once owned a heavier version dated 1983.
Just saying :hatsoff:

B.

I have a Pedersoli "Coach gun" that I have yet to shoot. I would like a nice SxS percussion long gun, too. There was a seller at our local gun shows that had a nice older CVA double priced at only $400 and had it at quite a few shows. Alas, I waited too long to make the funds available and it finally sold.

Rob

A (not so) brief update:

First, thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread and for contacting me through PMs. I really appreciate it and think this thread will be a great resource for anyone considering a SxS.

While talking with my Dad about this, he responded, "Heck (edited for language), if you want an old double barrel you can have Grandpa's old gun." It's not quite old enough for discussion on this site, but she's gonna be loaded with brass shotshells and BP. My grandfather passed away about 2.5 years ago about 1 week before my son was born, so this one has significant sentimental value.

Thus, I may be suspending my search for a SxS for the time being and focusing on a search for a dedicated turkey hunting shotgun. Will post thoughts on this in a different thread in the future.

Thanks again!! :hatsoff:

Good on the gun, DSayer.

Brass cartridges can have the top wad held in place with a rub of beeswax. No need to crimp or roll.
I carried some in my pocket for days to see how they worked, and they never came apart.

Best,
Richard.

Oh My Goodness !
Three mentions of cartridge guns .
Whatever next ?
Soon some curmudgeon will come along and remind you that there is nothing traditional in those infernal contraptions . :blah:

Only joking .
All old guns are fun .
:thumbsup:

Speaking of the curmudgeon, he was giving serious thought to blowing away the posts that were discussing cartridge guns.

Lets all keep the curmudgeon happy and stop talking about such newfangled nonsense. :)

Sorry all. I tried to limit the discussion by stating that the gun was not acceptable for discussion on this site. Just wanted to update everyone on the status of my search for a SxS since so many contributed their thoughts and advice.

Zonie,
You can delete the reference to the brass hulls (and now this one as well I suppose) if needed.

Long as they got good patina :idunno: :surrender:

:rotf:

Grampa's guns r different......but other than that I just don't have a desire to take a cf or rim fire out anymore :shake:

Zonie said:
Speaking of the curmudgeon, he was giving serious thought to blowing away the posts that were discussing cartridge guns.

Lets all keep the curmudgeon happy and stop talking about such newfangled nonsense. :)
Here here I second that, dirty new fangled things.
Feltwad

Feltwad said:
Zonie said:

Here here I second that, dirty new fangled things.
Feltwad

:haha: :haha: :rotf: [ :thumbsup: ].

Back