• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendations for flint knapping tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srkmarine1101

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a new rifle on order that should be here soon. Just wondering if anybody has recommendations on the best Flint kapping tool?

You will get a lot of replies varying from hitting to pressure flaking. You will get advice to never use anything steel, only copper or whatever. I have used everything under the sun. What works best for you is what you should use. But, do use caution. Empty the pan before striking the flint.

You will get a lot of replies varying from hitting to pressure flaking. You will get advice to never use anything steel, only copper or whatever. I have used everything under the sun. What works best for you is what you should use. But, do use caution. Empty the pan before striking the flint.
Thanks for the heads up!

I've tried most all the ways others have suggested and that worked for them. But the only method that works for me is knapping the flint in the lock. I made this tool just for that purpose and with a screwdriver on the other end.
PICT0576-1-1.jpg

Made this from a 1/8” diameter copper nail. Works well with pressure or tapping(using my ball starter).
View attachment 44389
I also made a notched punch, but I used a 3 inch nail; filed in a notch a half inch from the pointy end. use as an end punch, or place the notch on the flint and press or strike to chip off hard points. Also made a small hammer of brass with one end filed to a wedge to concentrate the strike or pressure.

Attachments

• flinter toolkit.JPG
    flinter toolkit.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 92
I also made a notched punch, but I used a 3 inch nail; filed in a notch a half inch from the pointy end. use as an end punch, or place the notch on the flint and press or strike to chip off hard points. Also made a small hammer of brass with one end filed to a wedge to concentrate the strike or pressure.
That looks great!

Back