• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendations for .40 RB..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill M.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
About 5 years ago I bought a used .40 caliber GM round ball barrel from a member here for my TC Hawken. Put it in the closet. Now I would like to shoot it. Could someone give me a guess as to the size ball and type and thickness of patches to order to try? I have shot little blackpowder, mostly with minis in my .50. I have to order my stuff so I need a starting point. I will be using a substitute powder, not real black.

About 5 years ago I bought a used .40 caliber GM round ball barrel from a member here for my TC Hawken. Put it in the closet. Now I would like to shoot it. Could someone give me a guess as to the size ball and type and thickness of patches to order to try? I have shot little blackpowder, mostly with minis in my .50. I have to order my stuff so I need a starting point. I will be using a substitute powder, not real black.
I would start with a .0389 dia. ball n 20 gr of 3 f black of your choice. Work up your load combo or combo's . My .40 liked a .395 ball dia. with 25-35 gr for tree rats n 50-65 gr 3 f for deer

I use a .400 ball with .015 patch. 40 gr GOEX fffg out to 50 yards and 60 grains at 100 yards. Outstanding accuracy.

Order some .390 and .395 balls from Eddie Mays in GA & see what works well in your gun

My .40 did it's best with a .389" ball, 40 grains of 3F and a .023" patch lubed with Hoppes. That was my everything load and generated 1700 fps along with amazing accuracy. 60 grains made small groups at 100 yards.

i can only tell you about mine, i use a .018 pillow ticking patch with a .395 ball and 55gr. of 3f goex Olde Eynsford powder and for lube i use dawn dish soap water about a 60 water-40 soap mix, it loves a heavier charge,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There seems to be a lot of accurate ball sizes for 40 caliber rifles. My Dixie Cub in 40 likes a .400 round ball and .015 lubed patch. That gave the best accuracy compared to smaller size balls. I started with a .390 or .395 ball but the .400 did better.

Have fun working up your load.

Jeff

A set of these....
1684104271533.png

and then one of these...

1684104344725.png

Save some time and get a for sure bore measurement of your rifle. Every one is a bit different. You can crunch numbers and combos on paper a lot cheaper and easier and faster, believe it or not.

Shot my .40 Douglas 1 x 72 twist barrel for a lot of years. It liked 45 grains of 3 fg Goex with a .015 spit patch. Every barrel is different so what has worked for one doesn't mean it will work for yours. Plus your working with a sub powder.

I shoot my .40 cal Poor Boy flintlock with .390 round balls. My first were store bought, I purchased a mold and now cast my own.
And pillow tick, not sure the thickness. T/C bore butter for lube.
40 grains of FFF.
021.jpg

I’m gonna openly display my ignorance, but wouldn’t a dead on .40 ball leave no room for a patch? Or would it just be really, really tight and hard to start and get seated?
Depends on how soft the lead is and how thick the patch is. A very soft bore (land-to-land) diameter ball will deform to crush the patch to fit in the barrel. It will be hard to load. Once started, the loaded ball will be tight and seating is possible.

I’m gonna openly display my ignorance, but wouldn’t a dead on .40 ball leave no room for a patch? Or would it just be really, really tight and hard to start and get seated?
It's tight to load. Needs a short starter but I can still load it with a wooden rod.

Back