• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Recommendation to cover up an accidental ding on Kibler Colonial under buttplate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will definitely receive many scratches and dents from hunting as i'll hunt it hard. I guess I'm just frustrated because I know that i should have just left it alone.

Why fret about it? Who's going to notice? Even with the picture, I don't see anything "bad".
Any arm that's used is going go get a ding or a scratch.
Do you think the arms used back in the day were pristine after a week or so in the field?

Just adds a bit of "Historically Accurate"/ "Period Correct" in my opinion. 😷👍

I would leave it alone as stated if you do not tell anyone no one will even notice it. Wood putty on a rifle stock is right up there with using a Dremel tool during construction of the piece, gives me chills when I think about it. IT LOOKS FINE and as the rifle is used and gets some honest wear and tear on it this will blend right in.

Call Jim and see if he has one laying around. Save you shaping and fitting it.
I wouldn't bother him.
Any good hardware store will have pieces of brass stock for sale and it doesn't cost much.
I made this toe plate for a TC from that material and it came out pretty good.

ToePlate6.jpg

I did call today and speak with Kathleen at Kibler's. A toe plate doesn't come with the Colonial but she knows many people who have added them when building and they do look great. She offered to send me a piece of brass but I told her not to worry about it. I can either make one up myself, buy one, or just leave it as is. Thanks for all of the replies.

I did call today and speak with Kathleen at Kibler's. A toe plate doesn't come with the Colonial but she knows many people who have added them when building and they do look great. She offered to send me a piece of brass but I told her not to worry about it. I can either make one up myself, buy one, or just leave it as is. Thanks for all of the replies.

Good for you. Katherine and Jim are folks you want to have a relationship with. Top notch folks who rarely get to the shows but will go 30 miles out of their way for you. Jim’s the engineer of the crew and Kat is the people person. Know her and you know what’s happening with Kibler’s Longrifles. Just like Barbie with the Chambers crew.

Back