• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Recommendation to cover up an accidental ding on Kibler Colonial under buttplate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickbow59

32 Cal
Reaction score
Picture attached of what I want to hide. I filled area with wood putty but it looks terrible and stain won't make it match at all. I'm thinking a toeplate of some type. If anyone has a photo of something that looks nice I'd appreciate it. None of the brass on the rifle is engraved so I'm thinking something very simple. Thank You

Attachments

• 20200828_165114.jpg
    20200828_165114.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 266
A brass toe plate would take care of the ding. It could be simple with a square end or a fancy finial, whatever your skill set allows. Either would look good and shouldn't be difficult to install.

If it just a dent (wood wasn’t cut away when the ding happened) you may be able to steam it out. Or just leave it alone and call it antiquing. People pay extra for it. Wood putty just attracts attention to the area.
I used the steam iron/damp t shirt method to remove the majority of dents from a 150 yr old stock. It worked great. I'm sure it'll work very well on a new dent to.
KIMG1258.JPG

Leave it there and just say the gun got that right after you shot a big buck and in the excitement the gun got dinged against a tree. Those marks can all tell a story, some real, some fishermans tales. Gives the gun character.

My Kibler has a similar ding in just about the same spot.........As it may be the first of many, I just rubbed it with a bit of oil and call it “character”. The first ding on a new rifle(car, motorcycle, etc.etc.etc.). is always the most traumatic. As explained in the previous posts, most all can be fixed. IMO, over time, and with good use, it’s just about impossible to avoid, and “too much plastic surgery” may eventually take its toll on you and the rifle. Shoot it and enjoy it!

Thanks everyone, I wish that I had just left it alone and never applied the wood putty, I made a normal character mark which possibly could have been steamed out into one that bothers me now. Lesson learned.

Years ago I went and got fitted for a new bike helmet. Sounds stupid but after you've had your bell rung really good you spare no expense on a new brain bucket. I got a beauty, jet black with air vents, a visor and I even installed my Bluetooth headset. It even came in a protective cloth bag to store it in when not in use. I was retaking all my road safety classes and the meeting point was in a very old parking lot with lots of loose gravel. I hung the helmet on the handlebars like I'd done thousands of times with dozens of helmets through the years. When they called the class to begin, for some reason I threw my leg over the bike and righted it before putting my helmet on. Of course the helmet slipped off the bar and crashed to the ground scuffing the visor, the beautiful gloss black finish and knocking one of those snazy new adjustable vents off the helmet. I picked it up, surveyed the damage and I swear to God, my first thought was "Glad that's over" I'm still wearing it dings and Dangs and all. I even bought a new helmet a few years ago, I just don't like it as much. This one kind of reminds me of me!
KIMG1646.JPG

Last edited:
Learning to add "patina or antiquing" to wood is an art form. Bobby Harn and others used to talk about crunching keys against a gunstock . Never had the desire to do that , but always wanted to do it.. Most originals , if actually used , had a ding or a dozen or so. You have our permission to not worry about it. One of the most amazing Jager rifles i've seen , was "patinated " , by thumping a paint brush , loaded w/ ink against a finger allowing the ink drops to decorate the wood under the finish. What brilliant minds think of this stuff ???? Good idea , oldwood , think I'll do that on next rifle...................oldwood

Picture attached of what I want to hide. I filled area with wood putty but it looks terrible and stain won't make it match at all. I'm thinking a toeplate of some type. If anyone has a photo of something that looks nice I'd appreciate it. None of the brass on the rifle is engraved so I'm thinking something very simple. Thank You
I built a long rifle and did the same thing. I ended up putting a tow plate on it. Since then I’ve built another long rifle and a colonial. Number one step in my assembly is to do the butt plate install first. That way I don’t damage the lower butt.

There are two options. You can have a perfectly finished rifle, store it in a padded glass case and never shoot it or you can have one that gets used and has a few dings in it. I don't know of any other way around it.

Latest posts

Back