• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Recommend 44 cap and ball revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it be possible that all the Italian black powder weapons out of Italy are all related by Gardoni being the only proof house in Italy?

Would it be possible that all the Italian black powder weapons out of Italy are all related by Gardoni being the only proof house in Italy?
I think I read there's an association of Italian gun-makers, but the various companies probably operate separately. I wonder what the Proof House charges for their services? Imagine the facility, all day, every day, proofing guns! I saw a video about the Chiappa company, very family oriented, as is Pedersoli. If these producers had not gotten a start back in 1959 with the original reproducing firms, we'd be in a heck of a pickle, as black powder shooters.

Get a Colt model 1851 sheriff brass in .44.

Thems was used and carried by folks like General Lee because the south did not have the knowledge to make steel frame guns.

You can get them made by peiotta in Italy for Cabelas for like $199. Work good. No reason to pay more elsewheres.

What makes you think General Lee had a brass-framed revolver?
I have not researched it myself, but whatever gun or guns he had with him after the war started, he probably had from long before the 1860's.

with the different manufactures and models of revolvers, I’m looking for a sturdy quality revolver.
Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you can spare the extra funds, spring for the steel frame on whichever style you buy.
It will last longer, and will have a better resale value. I never heard anyone with a steel-framed percussion revolver say they wish they had bought the brass one.
I have an excellent Unerti steel framed 1851 Navy .36 that has been fired well over a thousand times with 90% of them being full-powered loads.
Barrel-cylinder gap has not changed, nor has point of impact. Still tight everywhere I want it to be.

How did that myth about the South not having the "knowledge" to make steel framed revolvers get started? (And spread) Knowledge and resources are two entirely different things.

How did that myth about the South not having the "knowledge" to make steel framed revolvers get started? (And spread) Knowledge and resources are two entirely different things.

Often wondered this too. The south just didn't have the steel is what I thought was the reason. Doesn't make sense to me brass could be poured, but not steel. Brass takes less heat, maybe that is the culprit.

In Spain, THE region for gun making was centred around the Northern city of Eibar, and 99% of ALL guns were made there - still are. So the national proof house is there.

In Belgium, ALL the gun making was centred around Liége, so the national proof house is there.

In UK, there are TWO main locations for gun making - London and Birmingham - each city has its own proof house.

In Italy, going back to the late 15th century, guns and blades have been made in the Brescia region. The main town in Brescia is Gardone Val Trompia, and THAT is where the national proof house is located.

The relationship between the location of the gun makers and the proof house is one of convenience, as well as making good business sense from the charges that the various proof houses make to proof the firearms.

Steel was a scarce commodity in the South during the war. The Navy (and Sec. Mallory) was fascinated by ironclad ships and lots of steel and iron that should have been left in the railroads went into ironclad production. Which in turn left very little steel for guns. If it weren't for the melting of church bells there would have been alot less cannon and small arms production. But I would say the knowledge on how to manufacture steel framed revolvers was there.

What makes you think General Lee had a brass-framed revolver?
I have not researched it myself, but whatever gun or guns he had with him after the war started, he probably had from long before the 1860's.
Wouldn't surprise me is Lee went out and bought a pair of Navies right about the time he decided to go with the South, just as the War was impending. There must be info on his pistols on the web.

Wouldn't surprise me is Lee went out and bought a pair of Navies right about the time he decided to go with the South, just as the War was impending. There must be info on his pistols on the web.
It would not surprise me if Lee bought a LeMat or two.
Several of the Southern Generals did.

Lee spent the decade of the 50's in the Army and even commanded a post or two. I would say he was probably around differant models of revolvers. Then in the 60s He wound up with the decade old 1851 Colt Navy Model. He must have known something.

It depends on what you intend to do. If you intend to do a lot of shooting a Pietta 1851 Navy in .36 caliber with a steel frame.
If you want something pretty to shoot occasionally get the Capt. Schaeffer replica by Pietta. It is the ultimate Bar-B-Q gun. And a lot of fun to shoot.
My experience is Pietta makes a better mechanically built fire arm.
No matter which manufacture or type it is a completed KIT GUN and will take some kitchen table cleaning up.
There are several you-tube videos I suggest Duelist 1954 for some good information.
I have an embarrassing number of pairs of percussion revolvers and all Colt design, all fun to shoot. Pairs because I have two hands.

Remington 1858, for user friendliness for one new to revolvers.

A Colt perhaps if you have larger hands and just can't abide the Remington.

A Dance and Bros for coolness and nice handling.

Pietta or Uberti

Related on as in using the proof house, which as indicated above by TFoley, is located for the convenience of the firearms manufacturing community in Italy.

The two major revolver manufacturers, Pietta and Uberti, are separate concerns, Uberti being owned by the Beretta conglomerate.

Gardone Val Trompia, in the Brescia Region of Italy, is a city. Located within it are a number of firearms manufacturers trading on the region's centuries-old history as a centre of sword-making. Brescia steel is the counterpart of Toledo in Spain, Solingen in Germany and Sheffield in England. The Italian government national proof house is also located in GvT - where better?

No matter where in Italy a firearm has been made, and not ALL are in GvT, they all have to go there for proofing, as do any imported firearms made by countries that do NOT have official proof houses, like the USA. The USA is not a signaturee to the CIP provisions. At the moment there are fourteen firearms-manufacturing countries that are, and one of the laws - not rules, but laws, written into the national legal system, is that every firearm made outside any of the CIP nations must be subjected to proof in the country in which they are to be sold. These laws are called collectively, The Proof Acts.

It would be a good thing if you could shoot a couple (at least) different types of pistols. I have several, from .36 to big horse pistols like the Walker. All are fun, and unique. All have personalities. My personal favorite is an 'open top' Colt. Mine are either Pietta, or Uberti. All are of good quality. Perhaps a local gun shop has a client who can share, or maybe a local club, or range can assist in finding a friendly enthusiast. Worse comes to worst, read and watch shooting videos. They can be telling. Good luck!

I am newer to BP. What I did is researched the subject. Asked questions like your doing and put hands on. I researched everything that I would need and then priced items over the internet including eBay and Cabela's. What I found is that Cabela's had the best price for pistols. I chose the 1858 Remington Army model because of history reasons. The sheriff model actually felt better and was better balanced. I also put hands on the 1860 and basically everything else they had in stock. When I buy my second pistol it will be the sheriff mode.

I liked that the 1858 had a top strap as it make is sturdier. I also like that removing the cylinder is super easy with no wedge to loose. I bought a spare cylinder to make shooting easier and more rounds down range. A cylinder press is a nice convenience to use. I love mine.

Like everyone else said, buy steel and not brass frames for your first gun. Remember try to put hands on and see what feels best in your hands.

A cylinder press is a nice convenience to use. I love mine. ME TOO!!!

Latest posts

Back