• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Recoil junkie!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The plan was,
a, use the Beretta.
b, use that course powder.
c, use the 177 air gun pellets that I have in abundance!

I just used a 2&3/4" 12g hull as a shot measure. It held over 2oz brimmed.
20210228_135408.jpg

I dumped approx 20g of 3f to make sure I light up then dropped 90g of the useless course stuff I have.
That was interesting! The course powder seems to wake up with 2oz on top of it! I dropped the charge by 10g and it still worked good but slightly more comfortable.

We didnt see much and I only got one shot at a squirrel but the poor pattern from these airgun pellets completely missed it.
We did get under some calling woodpigeons though. The males are starting to call and set up territories in the pine plantations.
I had 100% ignition today and a bloody good walk!
20210228_165156.jpg

I'll be glad when this powder is gone and getting rid of them pellets wont be a bad thing too! Sure beats using an airgun!

Recoil Junkie! That phrase rings a bell in my memory.
About 40 yrs ago, when I assembled my Navy Arms double Barreled Shotgun, we were out shooting in the swampy jungle very near LaPlace, Louisiana. Just a short boat ride to our spot.
We shot there a lot. It was one of the few places with very solid ground. there were piles of 22 brass on the ground.
seeing all that brass, and eyeing the absolute jungle of weedy plants behind our shooting spot, I had an idea.
I loaded both barrels with very stout powder loads,card wads, and a roughly measured equal amount of the 22 brass in each barrel. Card wads on top.
I had a blunderbus idea working in my mind.
I turned into the jungle, got low, and braced the butt stock against my right leg, to “ keep the pattern low””, as I remarked to my pals.
cocking both barrels, I fired both in rapid succession.
You can probably see where this is going!
When the smoke cleared, I was on my face in the mud, feeling remarkably like I had just been shot out of a cannon. Nothing but bruises, but I have not attempted that again.
The weeds-vaporized to back about 2 1/2-3 feet. Gone, nothing left. just little stumps of weeds and mud.
the experiment was not worth it, as I was abused for some time, by my friends attempting to get me to repeat my performance. No more blunderbus experiments!

Brit,
You fired more than one shot? You have my respect...and concerns.

When I was playing with Sky Chiefs loads, I couldn’t find any thing that worked at 50 yards. So, genius that I am I figgered, well, longer range and all, pellets must be getting tired and just dropping out. I’ll fix that by putting in more pellets and more powder. The barrel is a re-bored .54 rifle barrel and very thick So should hold up to just about anything. I put 100 gr of powder and 2 oz of #6 shot over it. Lit it off and quickly came to the conclusion that I never wanted to do that again. I have no idea where those pellets went but only 2 landed on the target.

Brit,
You fired more than one shot? You have my respect...and concerns.

When I was playing with Sky Chiefs loads, I couldn’t find any thing that worked at 50 yards. So, genius that I am I figgered, well, longer range and all, pellets must be getting tired and just dropping out. I’ll fix that by putting in more pellets and more powder. The barrel is a re-bored .54 rifle barrel and very thick So should hold up to just about anything. I put 100 gr of powder and 2 oz of #6 shot over it. Lit it off and quickly came to the conclusion that I never wanted to do that again. I have no idea where those pellets went but only 2 landed on the target.
Shot six. Two at a piece of old tin at thirty yards. The pellets were there ok. Bit patchy though.

Back