• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Recent NYS Firearms Law

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for NYS residents. Do any of you know if the new laws passed in NYS apply to muzzleloaders? I wrote to the Department of Environmental Conservation and received no response.

Specifically, the law now states that firearms have to be secured in a locked, "Impact, fire, and tamper-proof" hard case and hidden within your vehicle during transport.

The law is also vague (no surprise) in reference to stopping anywhere. I don't know how you stop for gas, a rest area, or even a supermarket without "leaving a firearm unattended" in your vehicle.

As much as I love my home State and enjoy hunting the Adirondacks you have to wonder if it is worth the hassle, headaches, and even the risk for non-residents. It may be time to just spend more time (and my money) in Maine.
i understand you concern and situation . we in illinois have chicago/cook county ruling the state.

Which is precisely their plan. We should keep in mind that nothing the Dems do is valid on its face. There is always an ulterior motive cloaked as something else. They do not want to address crime because it serves to increase public anti gun fervor and provide justification to disarm the public, which is the real objective.

I used to think that Democrats were just plain stupid. They are not. They are clever and cunning.

"D" stands for Democrat, Dishonest, Devious and Deceitful
I think your explanation is right on the money!

Last edited:
I would like to say thank you to the moderators for allowing this discussion to continue outside the premium area.
I believe it is important for everyone to be aware of what it going on here in NY as it could be coming to your state too depending on where you live and what happens in DC
If you don't want it to happen to you, get out and vote this fall and at every election.

I second that, Thank You for allowing the conversation and Thank You to the OP .We have gone a little politically askew of his original question

My late Dad was a depression era Roosevelt Democrat until I finally convinced him that Democrats were now the party of the Non-Working man with the giveaways he was paying for. Finally getting Dad to leave the Democrats behind was one of my greatest accomplishments :thumb:
Same for me. My dad voted democrat no matter who was running. Finally figured it out when Carter was president. Kept telling him that the democrats were anti God and only for keeping in office no matter who they stepped on.

Same for me. My dad voted democrat no matter who was running. Finally figured it out when Carter was president. Kept telling him that the democrats were anti God and only for keeping in office no matter who they stepped on.
I'm still puzzled and perplexed how so many are hanging on and remaining loyal to the Democratic party just because "Daddy did". A little bit of common sense should straighten them out. I guess common sense isn't that common anymore.

I'm still puzzled and perplexed how so many are hanging on and remaining loyal to the Democratic party just because "Daddy did". A little bit of common sense should straighten them out. I guess common sense isn't that common anymore.
Growing up in Central New York we were taught that getting a good union job at one of the many factories or plants was like winning the lottery. You could retire early with a very nice pension. You were also taught that it was the democrats who supported those unions and fought for your rights and benefits. The Republicans represented big business and corporate America and were out to screw you over while they got richer and richer.

I didn't want to work at a factory or plant, and I didn't want to go to college after high school. I thought about becoming an electrician, but they only worked in nice weather and many just collected unemployment over the long winters. So, I joined the Navy. Never meant to make it a career, it just worked out that way.

The factories and plants are long gone. Some of the buildings still stand, boarded up with fencing around them as sad reminders of upstate New York's once bustling industry might. So are many of those good union jobs.

Old habits and thoughts die hard. Many still hang onto that belief that democrats are looking out for them.

Loss of individual liberties, high gas and food prices, and inflation mean little to a large voting population who simply swipe an EBT card.

Last edited:
Growing up in Central New York we were taught that getting a good union job at one of the many factories or plants was like winning the lottery. You could retire early with a very nice pension. You were also taught that it was the democrats who supported those unions and fought for your rights and benefits. The Republicans represented big business and corporate America and were out to screw you over while they got richer and richer.

I didn't want to work at a factory or plant, and I didn't want to go to college after high school. I thought about becoming an electrician, but they only worked in nice weather and many just collected unemployment over the long winters. So, I joined the Navy. Never meant to make it a career, it just worked out that way.

The factories and plants are long gone. Some of the buildings still stand, boarded up with fencing around them as sad reminders of upstate New York's once bustling industry might. So are many of those good union jobs.

Old habits and thoughts die hard. Many still hang onto that belief that democrats are looking out for them.
My brother worked for Phila Elec for 36 yrs, Never had a Union. No one wanted a union. Unions were always a problem, keeping losers, drones and useless people around, doing less work and always demanding more. My brother ran the rebuild of the Nuke Plant in Peach Bottom.They had to hire several hundrd workers each year for several months to do the rebuild within the specific time frames. PE held the record for rebuilds and they were used by many companies t show them how it was done etc. My brother said the hardest part of the job was getting rid of the Union drones and losers they had to bring in when doing an Outage. He said the Union reps would sit in the parking lot with a umbrella and table , telling their people what to do. My brother danced for joy when he could finally get rid of them I have never seen a Union worth anything. They destroyed more companies and jobs then they ever made. My brother retired with a great pension etc all based on his work, not some Union!

Back in the day, unions were good for something. They brought the workers together to fight for fair wages, working hours and conditions. Then they became too powerful, corruption soon followed. They became in league with the underworld. My dad was a union man, he walked the picket lines whenever they needed help. Stood up for his union brothers through thick and thin. Then about 40 years back he had saved enough money to build his own house. My dad could do anything so he decided that he and I and Mom would build the house. About two or three weeks into the project, two car loads of union men pulled up and told us we could not build or house ourselves, but that we would have to use union labor to do it. An argument ensued, they got out of the cars with clubs then the argument ended with a dozen union men facing the business end of a Browning Automatic shotgun. Didn't make my dad too popular with the union but we never had any trouble after that either. When push comes to shove, this is the only thing gov'ts of any kind understand -- power. That's why the 2nd A is there. It is the only amendment that gives teeth to the Constitution. Without the 2nd A, the Constitution is just a piece of paper.

I don’t always comment on on forum threads but when I do, it affects me personally. I grew up in NYS and no I’m not a liberal. I moved out to Connecticut in the early 80’s to become a police officer there. My family had property in the Catskills. I always hunted and fished there with great enjoyment and fond memories. Over the years I watched the hunting deteriorate. Rabbits and woodchucks slowly disappeared as did the grouse at least where we hunted. After retirement, my wife and I decided to move to Texas to be with family. I truly miss NYS for it is a beautiful state however the politics and economy is disastrous. I constantly get invited to deer hunt there however the new gun restrictions are scary. The thought of flying into JFK with a rifle in a hard case ( declared) is overwhelming. I pretty much gave up and threw in the towel on that idea. Texas is great with the gun laws however NYS has it beat with public land hunting opportunities. Also as a retired officer I have the H.R.218 which I’ve been told NY doesn’t recognize. Again truly sad.

I don’t always comment on on forum threads but when I do, it affects me personally. I grew up in NYS and no I’m not a liberal. I moved out to Connecticut in the early 80’s to become a police officer there. My family had property in the Catskills. I always hunted and fished there with great enjoyment and fond memories. Over the years I watched the hunting deteriorate. Rabbits and woodchucks slowly disappeared as did the grouse at least where we hunted. After retirement, my wife and I decided to move to Texas to be with family. I truly miss NYS for it is a beautiful state however the politics and economy is disastrous. I constantly get invited to deer hunt there however the new gun restrictions are scary. The thought of flying into JFK with a rifle in a hard case ( declared) is overwhelming. I pretty much gave up and threw in the towel on that idea. Texas is great with the gun laws however NYS has it beat with public land hunting opportunities. Also as a retired officer I have the H.R.218 which I’ve been told NY doesn’t recognize. Again truly sad.
It's true , that most of NYS west of NYC is a beautiful tree covered State. I hunted for years in NW Penna, and was only 7 mi from the NYS line. Could not tell one State from the other, just lots of trees!!

Yes, NY is a beautiful state with a rich history fundamental to the founding and growth of this country. The Sullivan Act (pistol permit law) stood for many decades without any issues. As an upstater, the oddest part of it or later laws was that a NYS Pistol permit issued in one of the upstate communities was valid anywhere in the state except NYC. While a permit issued in NYC was valid anywhere in the state.
I obtained my permit 40 years ago. It was a relatively simple thing, get 4 character witnesses, fill out the documents and finger print cards for the back ground check, pay the processing fee and wait a few weeks for processing. Then the politics of the state started to change. NYC and its ideas of what is appropriate started moving up state with the people moving out of the city. IMO that is when the changes started and the "good cause" to need a permit took over. As a side note people should know that what really happened in NYC regarding their permitting process. It became a pay to play scheme run by the group of police officers that were responsible for overseeing it. The average citizen could file his application and nothing would be done with it or it would be denied. If you had the money you could pay an attorney and they would "facilitate" it. Cost those folks $1000's. You can look it up. Several were charged and others simple let go about 4 years ago. Also, if you lived in one of the upstate rural counties it was easier to get a permit than in one of the more populous urban counties. It also depended upon the judge that received your application for final approval. Some judges were more friendly to the 2A than others. This in the end is why SCOTUS deemed the Sullivan Act unconstitutional. Given time the new law will also be found to be unconstitutional. NY and our last two governors have pushed these laws on NY by violating the law themselves. In NY a bill is suppose to mature over 3 days so that law makers have time to review it, think about it, receive input on it from constituents etc before voting on it. The so called SAFE Act nearly 10 years ago was thought up and voted on in the middle of night without ever seeing the light of day. This is way the ruling party here tends to do business and it appears that this governor is no different than our last. After all she was on the ticket with him and rose to power after he resigned due to his alleged sexual harassment of many young women. The new law is simply meant to prevent law abiding citizens from being able to protect themselves from the crime that the ruling party has thrust upon us with their bail reform laws that put criminals back on the street before the arresting officers has the paperwork done and forces a DA to have his case ready to go to trial within 7 days as he must provide the defense attorney with everything within that time frame. Sad that criminals have more rights than law abiding citizens. That is why I really think about leaving this state.

This is posted at my favorite diner:. In necessary response to our new law. If it's not posted, the business is presumed to be objectionable to lawful concealed carry. This per our wonderful law.

Attachments

• 20220916_094800.jpg
    20220916_094800.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Yeah, you better check the laws real good, as a retired PO you might be considered a terrorist in NYS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back