• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Recent NYS Firearms Law

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 75. When I was a child we had a place, not much more than a shack, on the west shore of the Great Bay in NJ. It was a paradise. I was out and in or on the water pretty much dawn til dark. Fished. Crabbed. Watched living things. Poked around the marshes. Once found a corpse with crabs eating the eyes.
That was in the 50's. Now NJ is a place I do not set foot in. What is it about certain coastal states? Think CA, OR, WA, NY, CT, NJ, MD. Something in the seawater?
Sadly, I know exactly where you are talking about. Cabins there in the Marshes for Generations. One in Particular is one where you stop at and can use it but you have to leave it the same way you found it. True! Featured in The Communist Online Rag NJ.com. I think the State wants to annex the property,s.
Sussex was the same in the sixties...now an Exodus point for fleeing Bergenites...NJ was a crossroad of The Revolution..go figure...

Which is precisely their plan. We should keep in mind that nothing the Dems do is valid on its face. There is always an ulterior motive cloaked as something else. They do not want to address crime because it serves to increase public anti gun fervor and provide justification to disarm the public, which is the real objective.

I used to think that Democrats were just plain stupid. They are not. They are clever and cunning.

"D" stands for Democrat, Dishonest, Devious and Deceitful
To me if you've got a "D" after your name you're Dirt, plain and simple.

And to make matters worse, a whole bunch of hunters and firearms owners will still vote for democrats in November because they still think democrats are looking out for the working man.
My late Dad was a depression era Roosevelt Democrat until I finally convinced him that Democrats were now the party of the Non-Working man with the giveaways he was paying for. Finally getting Dad to leave the Democrats behind was one of my greatest accomplishments :thumb:

Oddly enough, DEC has interpreted the new laws in a way that violated prior law, the SAFE act. DEC now states that you can "borrow" a semi auto unmentionable for the purpose of hunting, without the need for a permit.

However, unless you borrow from a parent, child, or sibling, borrowing constitutes a transfer under the SAFE act, and is a felony without an accompanying NICS check. Your lifelong friend can't come to NY state and borrow one of your guns to hunt with you here anymore.

To make things even more confusing, muzzleloaders are considered firearms in some circumstances, such as when possessed by a convicted felon.

I believe laws are written by lawyers with the intent that they are vague and not easily understood. It keeps lawyers in business, and gives the government wiggle room when they want to "enforce" a law.

it seems even antiques are not exempt. f.f.l. and nics for a rev war musket. ref. nys.gov. senate bill s51001. sadly nys is run by the votes of nyc. or this would not happen. give pot heads, illegals, criminals , ect. what they want and you have their vote.

And to make matters worse, a whole bunch of hunters and firearms owners will still vote for democrats in November because they still think democrats are looking out for the working man.
I disagree. I think that they just won't vote.

I guess I don't get all of the hate for NYS. Yes, I get that the politics suck, but as a transplant, I absolutely love it here. I'm in Upstate, in Saratoga County. As a lover of nature and history, NYS is a total treat. There's a ton of state ground to hunt, beautiful rural country with wonderful people who actually welcome hunters, a lot of great hiking and paddling options. On top of that we have all of the amazing history surrounding the founding of this country from the first settlements, the French and Indian War and the American Revolution. Also, being close to major cities like Boston, Montreal, and yes, even NYC is really nice if I want to treat my wife to a weekend trip to the city. Above all, I've discovered that my favorite place in the world is right next door in Vermont. I try to make a trip over there anytime that I can.

I guess I've never been one to get wrapped up in politics or let politics cloud my view things. It will be what it will be, I'll do my duty, cast my vote and move on with what I'm given. Complaining and being bitter have never done much for me other than to leave me bitter and complaining. To each their own though, I hope we all find our little piece of happiness.

splitear.. i think when outsiders think of new york they think n.y.c. because that is what they see and hear about on the news, ect. . i agree with your statements above. n.y. is a great state ,other the politics

splitear.. i think when outsiders think of new york they think n.y.c. because that is what they see and hear about on the news, ect. . i agree with your statements above. n.y. is a great state ,other the politics
I'm used to it, I grew up in Southern Illinois, and when I moved here, everyone associated it with Chicago, even though I grew up 6 hours south and had only been there a handful of times :) I think at this point I've been to NYC more in my 7 years here than I went to Chicago in 3 decades.

Many Blue States consider ML firearms to be the same as modern Firearms. In other words , they are all firearms and treated the same. You need to study your State laws closely. Rules change all the time. Be very careful when traveliing through Blue States to go somewhere else. You are subject to their laws when in their State.

it seems even antiques are not exempt. f.f.l. and nics for a rev war musket. ref. nys.gov. senate bill s51001. sadly nys is run by the votes of nyc. or this would not happen. give pot heads, illegals, criminals , ect. what they want and you have their vote.
62 counties in NY. last election 57 counties voted R 5 voted solid D gave us the Marx brother who resigned and gave us Hochul. The 5 counties surprise include all the southern counties that dangle like low hanging fruit. Elections in NY will always be won by D as long as the 5 counties vote solid D and have a large population and add the 57 counties with their D vote. ML are next on the chopping block first it will be powder. Lead is already being phased out for hunting black powder is next

Here's the 2020 voting map which illustrates why we want to separated from NYC.

1663256020503.png

Question for NYS residents. Do any of you know if the new laws passed in NYS apply to muzzleloaders? I wrote to the Department of Environmental Conservation and received no response.

Specifically, the law now states that firearms have to be secured in a locked, "Impact, fire, and tamper-proof" hard case and hidden within your vehicle during transport.

The law is also vague (no surprise) in reference to stopping anywhere. I don't know how you stop for gas, a rest area, or even a supermarket without "leaving a firearm unattended" in your vehicle.

As much as I love my home State and enjoy hunting the Adirondacks you have to wonder if it is worth the hassle, headaches, and even the risk for non-residents. It may be time to just spend more time (and my money) in Maine.
They like to make things complicated in order to dissuade people from taking any interest in the activity.

I've lived in Free America, Appalachia, for the past 30 years, but I grew up in western NY, half way between Chautauqua Lake and Lake Perfidy. You have to be from my generation or earlier, and a fan of Johnny Cash to connect those dots.

I remember a time when the only thing the Empire worried about at all was if you had a permit to conceal that pistol when off your own property. We all had long guns on gun racks in our pickup trucks out in the parking lot at high-school. It was just how us farm boys did things back then, and not a soul cared, because it wasn't even on the radar back then.

Fast forward to present day. 3 years ago here in Virginia we found ourselves being lorded over by the legislative houses and the governor's mansion full of raving lunatic leftists. They did their level best to write up every stinking anti gun law they could and were fully determined to ram them down our throats at any cost.

Here's how that went. There developed a statewide grassroots movement county by county to declare each county a Second Amendment Sanctuary. It started with one county here near me that flipped a double bird at Richmond and said no way, y'all can suck it, and it snowballed from there.

It took a little time, but 93 out of 95 counties declared some form of 2A Sanctuary. There was even a huge protest march on Richmond right up to the capitol building by at least 100,000 people. Most, we're armed and exercising their 2A rights.

The leftists laughed it off, but the full weight and measure of it all was, each county board of supervisors, and each Sheriff's dept (in Virginia the Sheriff has the highest authority of law enforcement over his county) declaring that under no circumstances would they enforce any unconstitutional laws passed by the state. These declarations were put in writing as resolutions and cannot be ignored by future boards or Sheriffs.

To boil it down, we the people of each of those 93 counties, and several large municipalities as well, with the full support of our local elected officials told Richmond go ahead, pass your damn laws, but don't come in our county expecting to enforce them, cause it ain't happening.

The leftists didn't get their laws passed because enough people raised enough hell, and there wasn't enough votes to pass any of it. We stood up, we took them on, and we won the fight.

I read a thread like this one and I just shake my head. NYers can't, or won't stand up to their government. Instead they just keep their heads down and try to figure a way to live with the laws. It's a damn shame, it really is. And don't tell me well it's NYC. Bull, Virginia has the same political dynamic with NOVA and all the DC leftists living just across the river in Virginia. Isn't any different between all that heavy blue population up there and our sparse red population out here in the mountains and farms.

And really, the only thing I miss about NY now days is the steelhead fishing in Chautauqua Creek........
You can come to Erie County PENNSYLVANIA for your steelhead fishing needs.

"I'll do my duty, cast my vote and move on with what I'm given"

And thats just what the criminals behind all this need to succeed. Voting only works when honorable people control it. How about when what your given is chains for you and your family.

"I'll do my duty, cast my vote and move on with what I'm given"

And thats just what the criminals behind all this need to succeed. Voting only works when honorable people control it. How about when what your given is chains for you and your family.
So what's the alternative? Piss and moan on internet forums all the time? Watch cable news and become outraged and miserable? Walk out on my family and career and take up arms?

What's wrong with a regular guy, going to work everyday, enjoying the good things in life and taking the bad in stride? So far it's made for a pretty enjoyable existence for me an mine....

I guess I don't get all of the hate for NYS. Yes, I get that the politics suck, but as a transplant, I absolutely love it here. I'm in Upstate, in Saratoga County. As a lover of nature and history, NYS is a total treat. There's a ton of state ground to hunt, beautiful rural country with wonderful people who actually welcome hunters, a lot of great hiking and paddling options. On top of that we have all of the amazing history surrounding the founding of this country from the first settlements, the French and Indian War and the American Revolution. Also, being close to major cities like Boston, Montreal, and yes, even NYC is really nice if I want to treat my wife to a weekend trip to the city. Above all, I've discovered that my favorite place in the world is right next door in Vermont. I try to make a trip over there anytime that I can.

I guess I've never been one to get wrapped up in politics or let politics cloud my view things. It will be what it will be, I'll do my duty, cast my vote and move on with what I'm given. Complaining and being bitter have never done much for me other than to leave me bitter and complaining. To each their own though, I hope we all find our little piece of happiness.
Split..100%. Lots of open space and country. Loved NYS in the OWEGO Region when I hunted there.SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back