• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Received my New Lyman GPR Today : )

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just opened and inspected my new Lyman/Pedersoli GPR. This is my very first muzzleloader. It's quite impressive and much heftier than expected...especially the business end. Looks amazing except I don't care for the stock's finish. Too light and shiny but that will be a fun fix this winter. I'm going to copy what a gentleman did in another thread as I too prefer a darker stain. I bought it at Midway and it came very well packaged. I don't understand their pricing? It was listed as clearance with 1 remaining in stock. After I purchased it and went back to the product page there were now 2 in stock at a much higher price. Why didn't they just sell all 3 at the same price? Weird. Anyway, I'm real pleased with the rifle and can't wait to shoot her.

Here's are the supplies I bought:

4 lbs. of Goex 2f
100 .530 round ball
100 lubed patches
1000 no. 11 caps
range rod
short starter
bore cleaner
bore jag
bore brush
bore mop
powder measure (75 grains)

Is there anything else I will need on my first outing? Is there anything that I should do to the rifle before shooting? Will it hurt the rifle if I fire a few caps off for fun?

Cheers and thanks for all the wonderful education I have received reading this forum. Great bunch of people here.

Mike
OH Yes! You'll need a truck and a trailer to haul all your stuff in especially for the Tepee you will be buying. lol. Good luck.

My GPR cut patches until I buffed the bore with a sub caliber jag and pieces of green scotchbrite. The machining of the rifling can leave burrs that slice the patch on the way down, make for rough loading and poor accuracy. It may not be evident in your gun, but it's possible. They're great rifles overall.

One thing nobody has mentioned is a range rod for loading or cleaning. A 1/2# dowel rod for a 54 works well, find one 48" and as straight grained as possible. Get a sharp knife and go in about 1/2" from any end and roll the dowel scoring it with the blade all the way around, don't cut the end off just score it the whole circumference. That done whittle the body down to the score line carefully so not to cut the knob you are making at the end. You are reducing the neck from the body to the knob from aprox. 2" back, don't go to thin at the knob just reduce enough to let the cleaning patch fold around the knob so it grabs the patch on the out stroke, if the patch catches in the bore and won't go down whittle some more for clearance. Also use the other end to seat the ball n patch on the powder (not the knob end) it won't last long under that pressure. All this does is save your gun ram rod which will be used to pull a stuck patch or a dry ball or maybe hunting. USE BOTH HANDS AND ABOUT 6" STROKES TO SEAT BALL N PATCH PUSH STRAIGHT DOWN NO JAMMING ALL WOODEN RODS CAN BREAK, and they will endup into your hand!
GOOD SHOOTING,
coupe PS make two take both to the range!

I just opened and inspected my new Lyman/Pedersoli GPR. This is my very first muzzleloader. It's quite impressive and much heftier than expected...especially the business end. Looks amazing except I don't care for the stock's finish. Too light and shiny but that will be a fun fix this winter. I'm going to copy what a gentleman did in another thread as I too prefer a darker stain. I bought it at Midway and it came very well packaged. I don't understand their pricing? It was listed as clearance with 1 remaining in stock. After I purchased it and went back to the product page there were now 2 in stock at a much higher price. Why didn't they just sell all 3 at the same price? Weird. Anyway, I'm real pleased with the rifle and can't wait to shoot her.

Here's are the supplies I bought:

4 lbs. of Goex 2f
100 .530 round ball
100 lubed patches
1000 no. 11 caps
range rod
short starter
bore cleaner
bore jag
bore brush
bore mop
powder measure (75 grains)

Is there anything else I will need on my first outing? Is there anything that I should do to the rifle before shooting? Will it hurt the rifle if I fire a few caps off for fun?

Cheers and thanks for all the wonderful education I have received reading this forum. Great bunch of people here.

Mike
Send a picture, I would love to see your new prize. Congrats, you seem well on your way to a lot of fun and learning adventure!
Gray Hawk, mkabe

I agree with all those mentioning doing a good clean on the barrel first. My recommendation is to use a patch(s) with a metal polishing compound on it and do a good 50-100 strokes to smooth out that barrel. After reading here I tried it and instead of firing 100 shots to smooth it out, you should find that it will load easier and you will have less cut patches. Enjoy, it's a great rifle.

Back