• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Reboring/Re-rifling.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a rifle with a pretty rough bore, not rusted but the barrel was obviously not bored by skilled hands. I have searched the internet, but I'm not having luck finding anyone who re-bores and re-rifles barrels on muzzle loaders. Quite a few I find that re-line modern guns.

It's a .58 caliber, I'd like to have it taken out slightly to around .60+", and rifled for round ball. It is currently a minie-ball rifle. Re-lining the bore would be okay with me, as I'm not sure there is anyone who does rifling. ?? Seems like the people who do re-lining on modern guns, use a pre-rifled liner. ??

Anyone know of anyone who does this??

Thanks in advance!

I used a guy by the name of Bobby Hoyt to rebore one of my barrels. I think a few others on this forum have used him as well and may even be able to provide a phone number. I believe he lives in PA. He does excellent work.

Jeff H

I've never used him but his name comes highly recommended and I have never heard any complaints. If all it is, is a bore that wasn't machined smooth as it should you could also consider having him freshen up the barrel instead of a rebore.

I can recommend Bob Hoyt without reservation. I have had Mr. Hoyt rebore 2 T/C Renegade barrels for me. The first one he did last summer. It was a roached 50 cal that he re-bored to 54 1:28 twist for PP bullets. The second one I just got back on Friday. 2 week turn around. It was 50 cal with a frosted bore that he re bored to 54 cal 1:60 twist with .012 deep rifling for patched RB. This barrel looks excellent and I am eager to go out and shoot it. He can also sleeve your barrel or build you one from scratch. He does great work with fast turn around and I will continue to send work his way.

I've never used him but his name comes highly recommended and I have never heard any complaints. If all it is, is a bore that wasn't machined smooth as it should you could also consider having him freshen up the barrel instead of a rebore.
Well there in lies the problem, the grooves are fine, but the bore is literally "lumpy". It's shallow rifling, so to smooth the bore out, will eliminate the rifling, or leave it so shallow that's it's not going to hold or spin a patched ball.

I believe that boring the barrel to the depth of the rifling, then re-rifling will take it out to .60", give or take. (it's a .58 cal minnie barrel) However, if this Bobby is comfortable with it, I'd like to take it out to .66" or so. Or at least .62". Or he may prefer to re-line it, in which case I'd still like to go bigger, and certainly no smaller than .58 cal. But, the bore, as-is, is not salvageable. I believe the depths of the "lumps" (or valleys) are too close to the depth of the rifling.

Now I'm sure this work will be more costly than the value of the rifle, but the rifle is good and sound in every other respect, I like the rifle...and I think a replica 1863 Remington contract rifle would be SO cool in something like .66 caliber, (or .60", or .62") rifled for round ball. Cool factor: priceless!!!! :) So yeah...I'll see what this Bobby Hoyt can do, or will do, and keep y'all posted.

hoyts did 6 barrels for me smoothbore and rifle. all were first rate. shot perfectly. good shot patterns. due to health I cant hunt anymore. sold em all.

Bobby just did an original underhammer barrel for me, bored & rifeled, $125 with shipping back about$10. Installing a liner will run near $200 with shipping. I usually let him look at a barrel and then follow his recomendations. I would just send him the barrel along with a letter telling him what you would like done and he will get to you to let you know if he can do it and what the alternatives are if he can't.

Is it worth It to you, well that's your choice but as far as I'm concerned if it turns an otherwise unusable gun into something you can enjoy it's well worth the investment.

In my younger years, being dumb, I had left a 50 cal Renegade barrel uncleaned after shooting it with Pyrodex. Years later when digging the gun out of the closet, I quickly realized that the barrel was basically trashed. It was pitted and scarred up pretty bad. I contacted Bobby and he rebored it to 58 cal with a 1:70 twist. Now it is a tack driver with round balls if I do my part. I think he charged me around $100. Well worth the investment for me. It took an otherwise unusable gun and turned it into something that I can now use.

Jeff H

All this sounds very encouraging. For sure, the value of something, in my mind, does not lie in the market value, or the original purchase price, or what I could "get out of it". Again, 1863 Remington contract rifle, rifled for .62-66"+ round ball....absolutely priceless. :)

I have been calling Mr. Hoyt for days, no answer, phone just keeps ringing.
Have called all times of the day.
He had a message machine a couple weeks ago.

Try calling first thing in the morning, like 8:00 EST or so. I was able to get him on the second ring. Sent my 50 cal renegade flintlock barrel to him to be bored out to 58. Got the barrel back in less than 2 weeks. Great turn around time, but that is not normal. Usually it takes a few months, but it depends on how busy he is.

a rough barrel can shoot as good and even better sometime than a smooth barrel. right ball, right charge and cleaning inbetween. if you want a smooth cut bore, listen to the shooter who gave you advice. GET WHAT YOU WANT, KEY TO HAPPIENESS WITH GUNS OF ANYKIND.

You guys are full of great information! I love reading on this forum. I look forward to hearing back from you Hylander, when you get it back and shoot it!

A friend and myself just got Re Bore Barrels back from Hoyt, We both sent him TC Seneca .36 Cal Barrels that had Rough Bores (that way when i bought them) Had them bored out to .400 with .006 Grooves and 1:37 Twist, I can’t speak for my friends as I haven’t seen his Barrel, But mine looks REALLY Good. We went in together and Bought a Mold, and .401 Sizer, Got the Sizer today, Just waiting on the Mold to get here.

My Rifle back together and ready for it’s Maiden Voyage :) Hopefully have the Mold next week.
qoMu8Tal.jpg

The Mold, Accurate Molds in Utah
S2NQ388l.png

Bullet stats, and Velocity to the Twist i chose. The military standard is 1.5 Stability
Hz680lJl.jpg

Back