Reboring and safety

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

brewer12345

40 Cal
Reaction score
I tossed out a low-ball bid on an auction for a 54 new Englander last night and won. It was cheap enough that this could be a loaner, source of spare parts for my grey hawk, or another shooter. I need to shoot it before I do anything, but if it does not turn out to be a round ball shooter, I am thinking about having Bobby Hoyt rebore it to 58 caliber. My question is how we know rebored guns are safe to shoot. At the very least, what is the max safe load? Is the amount of metal removed so small that it doesn't matter?

Okie Hog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The New Englander barrel tapers from 1 1/16 inches to 15/16 inches. It can be safely re-bored to .58 caliber. i have one being re-bored to .58 caliber in Mr. Hoyt's shop as we speak.

Carbon 6

70 Cal.
Reaction score
My question is how we know rebored guns are safe to shoot. At the very least, what is the max safe load? Is the amount of metal removed so small that it doesn't matter?
A smaller bore diameter will create higher chamber pressures. It's a function of expanding gas in a given volume. The more volume (larger bore diameter) the less pressure is generated. Look at the wall thickness on a 12 gauge shotgun or .58 Springfield, Brown Bess etc.

Almost all modern barrels start from the same size steel blank.

Hoyt has a good reputation.

Woodnbow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I tossed out a low-ball bid on an auction for a 54 new Englander last night and won. It was cheap enough that this could be a loaner, source of spare parts for my grey hawk, or another shooter. I need to shoot it before I do anything, but of it does not turn out to be a round ball shooter, I am thinking about having Bobby Hoyt rebore it to 58 caliber. My question is how we know rebored guns are safe to shoot. At the very least, what is the max safe load? Is the amount of metal removed so small that it doesn't matter?
He’s done a .58 in my High Plains Sporter (essentially the same barrel) and it’s a great shooter. He will probably not make the call until he can physically examine the barrel...

Historian

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
What is Mr. Hoyt's contact information please? I would like to have a rifle rebored or have a liner put in.

Okie Hog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Mr. Hoyt's address

Mr. Bobby Hoyt
2379 Mount Hope Rd.
Fairfield, PA
17320-9756
(717) 642-6696

Latest posts

Group Builder