• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Reboring an old Springfield musket barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treestalker

Treestalker
Reaction score
Recently I obtained an old repro Springfield CW musket barrel in a trade from a member of the Forum. I just shipped it to Mr. Hoyt to be bored out to a smoothbore with the intention of using it for a trade gun type build, in percussion. I have furniture for a Virginia style rifle, and am considering building a 'smooth rifle' out of it. It is .58 cal, 40 inches long and has the percussion bolster less nipple. I don't know if Mr. Hoyt can bore it any bigger than 24ga, as it has one deep screw hole near the rear sight location. Also the taper goes from 1 1/8" to a muzzle diameter not a lot bigger than the bore. although a bit heavy, it is balanced in the hand and much lighter than a full octagon. The Idea of a buck-and-ball all around gun appeals to me and I hope it works. I'm open to any suggestions, feel free to advise, devise, denigrate or otherwise commentate on this idea, LOL. Thanks gentlemen.

Back