• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Reboring a roached barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I have a .54 Lyman/Investarms GPR barrel that is badly pitted. I managed to clean it up to the point it will shoot ok but it fouls quickly and is hard to keep clean. Is there anyone in Canada that will rebore a barrel? Im pretty sure I can't ship it to Mr. Hoyt in the US.
My other question is would going to .58 be enough of an increase to ensure the pitts are gone. I guess that depends on how bad they are.
I've got a like new Hunter barrel on it now but would like a slow twist barrel for roundball.
Thanks
Jason

Don’t know regulations about shipping a barrel back and forth between Canada and the US, but I did have a barrel shipped to me (I’m in North Carolina) from Canada a few years ago with no difficulties. Seem to remember shipping costs were minimal. You may want to investigate shipping options if you can’t get the work done in Canada. Also don’t know how feasible it would be carry it across the border (Port Coquitlam is relatively close to the US) if you travel across often, and mail it from a USPS office, then have a US gun shop receive it for you after the work is complete. Just tossing ideas out.

As far reboring to 58 caliber, that would be a question for whoever does the rebore.

I don't know about rebores but I am in Australia and just received a new Rice Barrel.
I suspect that there is no problem exporting ML barrels.
However, it may be easier to get a replacement barrel. TOTW have them from time to time.

I've considered that too. A lot of the guys I shoot with have sm
I don't know about rebores but I am in Australia and just received a new Rice Barrel.
I suspect that there is no problem exporting ML barrels.
However, it may be easier to get a replacement barrel. TOTW have them from time to time.
That may be the case. Parts and accessories for modern firearms like scopes, bolts, and anything that affects the operation of the firearm are on a no export ITAR list. I don't think Canada has an issue but that could have changed with the current political situation here. Thanks for the info.

I'll have to check the regs and see where a muzzleloader barrel falls. The US export laws are really strict regarding guns and ammunition.
Make sure it is identified as 'musket parts', and you should be ok. The US don't seem to care about muzzle loaders or their parts, but they can get a bit weird if they think the parts could turn into something their enemies could use against them. I have imported several barrels and parts over the years. Why not simply buy a new barrel the length/twist you want?

Back