• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebore to 54 caliber tc hawkens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10_point

50 cal
Reaction score
what would be a good twist rate for a 54 caliber , i am having a 50 cal, rebored by bobby hoyt and he told me a 1-60 will be his choice , but would that rate work with maxi ball and sabots . pretty much a target and deer gun ,

If you want to shoot roundballs pretty much exclusively go with Mr. Hoyt's recommendation. If you want to shoot conicals pretty much exclusively, you need a twist around 1 in 24 or 28 or so. If your plan is to try to shoot both, the old standby 1 in 48 twist has worked forever.

Forget about the sabots. They are a theoretical practice that is not really demonstrated in practice to be an improvement over a patched round ball. Sabots (unless we are talking about wooden shoes) should not be talked about on the forum. Listen to Bob. By the way, a 54 caliber round ball is more than adequate for deer.

1/60 is slow for conical bullets, but there are times where they shoot well. It is more in line with PRB's from all that I've read the last three and a half decades using Black powder. Yet, I don't have the background Mr. Hoyt has with barrels. Did you ask him this question?

I'm sure you described your projectiles to Mr. Hoyt. He is a professional
barrel smith. 1 in 48 is very common, but with greater loads and bigger
projectiles , Hoyt makes a good point, since a little less twist is protective
of the bore while giving the projectile the gyroscopic spin needed for
better stability when fired. Also check out Idaho Ron, for his experience
as necchi recommends.

I've talked to Mr Holt, and sent him a CVA 50 taking it to 54, I what to use RBS, he said 1-60, and that's what he's doing for me. be about a month. Elk gun is my goal.

I have a Lyman GP 54 cal Hawken. 1/60 twist. It shoots the Lee 300gr "REAL" bullet accurately. The Lee 54 300 "REAL" is only slightly longer than the RB, so stabilizes well in the 1.60 twist. . Picture of RB & 300gr "REAL". My 50 yd target ( picture 4 shots ) with the REAL & 100gr charge. Yes you can take elk with the 54 RB. But many times while hunting elk you will encounter them from a sharp angle , from front or back. This requires a heavy projectile that will deliver greater penetration than the RB. Yon don't want to go with the minimum weight you can get by with. Dense heavy bone & muscle can be encountered from angled shots. The classic rib cage from the side is not 54 group 001.JPG always an available shot. For me I want the confidence a heavy projectile provides.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 29
I have a Lyman GP 54 cal Hawken. 1/60 twist. It shoots the Lee 300gr "REAL" bullet accurately. The Lee 54 300 "REAL" is only slightly longer than the RB, so stabilizes well in the 1.60 twist. . Picture of RB & 300gr "REAL". My 50 yd target ( picture 4 shots ) with the REAL & 100gr charge. Yes you can take elk with the 54 RB. But many times while hunting elk you will encounter them from a sharp angle , from front or back. This requires a heavy projectile that will deliver greater penetration than the RB. Yon don't want to go with the minimum weight you can get by with. Dense heavy bone & muscle can be encountered from angled shots. The classic rib cage from the side is notView attachment 123552 always an available shot. For me I want the confidence a heavy projectile provides.
I couldn't agree more, first time I've heard of this bullet, do you lube it or a fiber wade under? And the same powder charge as the RB? Like your group.

Bobby did a 1-60 twist for a .54 Renegade barrel and I’ve been very happy with how it shoots PRB

im fortunate to have alot of .54s i did have bob rebore them ive had one rebored to 1-20 twist forc the no excuse 535 grain my 1-32 on my lyman greast plains hunter loves 1-32 especially with hornady 425 great plains bullet it also loves the 380 grain leeor the 375 deerslayer bullet. in my thompsons 1-48 hornady great plains is king with thompsons 430 gr maxi. im a conical guy mainly but roundballs sure are easier to clean then shooting lead conicals

Latest posts

Back