• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebore 32 caliber to 36 caliber ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a used Traditions Crockett 32 caliber squirrel rifle recenty and when it arrived the bore is "Capitol R - Rust". Seller won't take it back, so I'm stuck. Yes it was misrepresented, but no sense crying over it. It is what it is. Wondering it it could be bored to 36 caliber in your opinion(s) and if so who would you recommend I contact to have that work done ? I've never had a need for this before and want to have a good guy do it for me. The barrel is pitted and very rusty, and no amount of brushing is going to straighten it out as is. I can buy a new barrel from Traditions but I'm told it will be at least 6 months. I'd be willing to wait that long, but I'd like to hunt squirrels this fall. Appreciate any referrals you might make. Thanks.

If you are up for it, I would clean up bore with a good rust remover, then I would polish bore with JB bore paste and oooo steel wool. Then go shoot it and see what it does on loading ease and accuracy. Over the years I have seen some bad bores really surprise. May be worth your time and labor, good luck.

Hate sellers that misrepresent an item. Assume you gave them worst possible rating.

As previously stated, see how it shoots. Personal experience with small bores like a 32, anything but a near perfect bore makes them tough to load and clean. Won’t know what you have until you try.

You would need to call someone like Bobby Hoyt ((717) 642-6696) and ask about a rebore or liner for your Crocket. Word is that he will not work on Traditions guns because of how they are breeched, but I have not personally talked to him on the topic. He is a good guy to work with and will tell you straight up what he can and cannot do.

They are 13/16” and can be taken all the way up to .45 easily. I like nkbj’s suggestion! Also it could be taken up to about .47 smoothbore or somesuch, another idea, or maybe even bore it so you could use .410 components.

Unless the Crockett has been redesigned recently the barrel is 3/4" and will bore out safely to .36 (.350" ball). I have a .36 with a 3/4" straight barrel I bought decades ago. Bobby Hoyt is the man to send it to if in fact he will work on Traditions barrels.

Unless the Crockett has been redesigned recently the barrel is 3/4" and will bore out safely to .36 (.350" ball). I have a .36 with a 3/4" straight barrel I bought decades ago. Bobby Hoyt is the man to send it to if in fact he will work on Traditions barrels.

Went back and found my new mail from Traditions and I was wrong, he stated it was 7/8”. The date stamp is 9/2013:

I’ve often pondered a barrel for the Crockett looking to paper patch my percussion revolver bullets or cloth patch my .457” balls through a 24-28” barrel. And a small gauge smooth bore sure does sound dandy. Imagine a .32, a .45-something, and a smoothbore barrel in a box, a can do combination like a T/C Contender.

I acquired my Crockett 20 years ago so maybe they increased the barrel size. My .36 barrel is 3/4" across the flats and the Crockett I owned was the same size 3/4". I measured both more than once and the order info for my .36 said 3/4". Ditto on the (.50) DeerHunter at 15/16". Got mine back around 1990 and it came, like the Crockett, with a wooden ramrod and fixed sights.

I also checked the specifications on the Crockett and found the weight is more for the more recent ones than the one I had. So a 13/16" barrel would certainly account for that extra weight. The ramrod and the sights appear to have been changed as well. Still it is a darn fine rifle and could go to a .40 with the more recent 13/16" barrel.

I acquired my Crockett 20 years ago so maybe they increased the barrel size. My .36 barrel is 3/4" across the flats and the Crockett I owned was the same size 3/4". I measured both more than once and the order info for my .36 said 3/4". Ditto on the (.50) DeerHunter at 15/16". Got mine back around 1990 and it came, like the Crockett, with a wooden ramrod and fixed sights.

I also checked the specifications on the Crockett and found the weight is more for the more recent ones than the one I had. So a 13/16" barrel would certainly account for that extra weight. The ramrod and the sights appear to have been changed as well. Still it is a darn fine rifle and could go to a .40 with the more recent 13/16" barrel.

Seems odd they beef it up but keep it only available in .32 cal. I’d rather have your model since it’s lighter.

It is indeed odd. Mine was a featherweight but could still have been a .36. The new ones should be offered in .40 or .45. I have a flint longrifle .45 with a 13/16" barrel that has been my go-to deer rifle for a couple of decades. The Crockett should also be offered in flintlock, IMHO.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys and I'll try the rust removal, shoot idea before a barrel replacement. Now, what rust rermover should I use on the bore ? And do I fill the barrel and then let it set................................for how long ?

It is indeed odd. Mine was a featherweight but could still have been a .36. The new ones should be offered in .40 or .45. I have a flint longrifle .45 with a 13/16" barrel that has been my go-to deer rifle for a couple of decades. The Crockett should also be offered in flintlock, IMHO.
I agree with you Hanshi, if they made the Crockett in flint i would have bought one, instead I bought a flint Shenandoah in .36 to scratch the itch.

I have used evapo rust with incredible results on badly rusted bullet molds, it will remove the blueing. I’m not sure if you want something that aggressive in your bore.

I had a similar experience buying an old Santa Fe Hawken off the internet. Had a badly rusted bore and seller would not take it back. Brushed it and used valve grinding compound on a tight patch. Still has pits and not as much rifling as it should but shoots really well now. You might be surprised at how well some barrels will shoot even though they have pits from previous misuse.

Keep in mind too a 32 isn’t usually a long range caliber. For hunting purposes most shots will be well under 50 yards. For squirrels and rabbits 25 yards or less will be more common. Cleaned up it may be fine for normal hunting ranges.

I am late to this thread, but I've had experience with a really rusty bore as well. (It was worse than I expected, but I didn't feel the seller misrepresented - he just didn;t know much about his ML.) I used the rusty 1st patch as an excuse to buy a borescope!

Anyway, I soaked the bore with Evaporust overnight, scrubbed, and it was still rusty, so I did it again. I protected the exterior of the bbl with plastic wrap & electrical tape. That worked well the first time, but some ER got under the plastic the second time and it did lighten up the bluing in irregular shapes. Woops. Well, I knew it was a project gun when I bought it.

I've shot it once and it did fine to 25yards, but I ran out of range time that day so I couldn't really put it to the test up to 50 or more.

But it puts me firmly in the camp of "shoot it & see what it does." And if it shoots well enough, try the Evaporust treatment but be careful with the exterior.

Remove your nipple and screw a plug in its place then fill the barrel. No need to get any evaporust on the bluing.

Back