• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rear Sight on Lyman GPR is loose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joliver

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just took my Lyman GPR out of storage after many years and found that the rear sight is so loose in the dovetail that I can easily slid it back and forth with my fingers. I haven't sighted it in yet, so I don't want to use any LocTite on it.

Recommendations?

Thanks for any suggestions,

joliver

Take the sight off, lay about a 9/16ths socket across the doveetail and give it a couple light taps with a small hammer. Try and repeat until ya get a nice tight fit.
I have tightened up the rear sight on a number of muzzleloader’s using this method. Works like a charm!

Another method to consider would be to stretch out the base of the rear sight its self. That means turning the sight over and peening out the the bottom side of the base edges with a punch and small hammer. Can also peen out an indentation on each corner and one indentation in the center. Between peening out the under side of the sight base,coupled with the indentation’s, that too will create a tighter fit along with friction. Also without having to alter the dovetail on your barrel.

Another wise member here told me that if you alter a part, always alter the least expensive part!

Anyway, both techniques will achieve your desired effect.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Last edited:
I have tightened up the rear sight on a number of muzzleloader’s using this method. Works like a charm!

Another method to consider would be to stretch out the base of the rear sight its self. That means turning the sight over and peening out the the bottom side of the base edges with a punch and small hammer. Can also peen out an indentation on each corner and one indentation in the center. Between peening out the under side of the sight base,coupled with the indentation’s, that too will create a tighter fit along with friction. Also without having to alter the dovetail on your barrel.

Another wise member here told me that if you alter a part, always alter the least expensive part!

Anyway, both techniques will achieve your desired effect.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Cowboy,

Definitely sounds better than altering the dovetail so that no other size sight would fit. I'll get on this tomorrow morning.

Thanks a lot,

joliver

Cowboy,

Definitely sounds better than altering the dovetail so that no other size sight would fit. I'll get on this tomorrow morning.

Thanks a lot,

joliver

A couple light taps on a socket across the dovetail won’t hurt anything at all nor prevent the use of anyy other sight in the future. And is a lot less work.

Another easy method of tightening a sight in a dovetail is to use a center-punch to create a crater in the center of the dovetail.

Another easy method of tightening a sight in a dovetail is to use a center-punch to create a crater in the center of the dovetail.
This is the method that I first learned many years ago from a prominent gunsmith's how to book. However, I must admit that the very last time that I tried it the center punch crater continued right down inside of the bore; that is a sick kind of feeling to have even if your only working on a cap and ball replica. (And, no I wasn't using a sledge hammer; I just tapped the punch with a light ball peen.)
I'm in bubba.50's camp now, got extra sockets in every range box.

I also adhere to the "damage the least expensive, most easily-replaceable part" philosophy. A cratered dimple (or a few) on the bottom of the dove-tail tenon on the sight usually works perfectly. A sping-loaded center punch is easy to control and makes predictable, uniform dimples.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/General-Tools-Instruments-5-in-Center-Punch/1053205

To each their own but, again, there is no ‘damage’ unless you’re beatin’ on your barrel with a sledge hammer.

Take the sight off, lay about a 9/16ths socket across the doveetail and give it a couple light taps with a small hammer. Try and repeat until ya get a nice tight fit.
Stupid question,but do you lay the socket sideways on the dovetail or stand it upright?

This is the method that I first learned many years ago from a prominent gunsmith's how to book. However, I must admit that the very last time that I tried it the center punch crater continued right down inside of the bore; that is a sick kind of feeling to have even if your only working on a cap and ball replica. (And, no I wasn't using a sledge hammer; I just tapped the punch with a light ball peen.)
I'm in bubba.50's camp now, got extra sockets in every range box.
That had to have been a VERY soft metal barrel!

Latest posts

Back