• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight height question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finished my precarve from hell rifle and gave it a go on my range. The first shots were a foot low so I started filing on the front sight, I got the group up to 4.5" low and had the front sight as filed own as far I want to go with it.

I need to make or buy a new rear sight that is taller but I don't know how much it will take to raise the impact point up where I need it. my current sight is the standard Lancaster that Track sells with a base .585 long and the blade height of .220.

As near as I can tell there are no other sights listed with this length base so I would have to buy one with a longer base and cut it down.

It looks like the next step up is a sight with a .300 blade height, then a sight that is .425 tall.

I know some of you guys are extra talented in calculating the projected sight height, I have always been a shoot and file kind of guy.

How much more height would put me in the ball park for a group that is 4.5" low. I know that barrel bending is an option but have never done it.

This is my 50 yard group, .54 shooting a .530 ball, .018 ticking patch and 80gr of 2F. Not too bad right out of the box and the first load I tried, this is a Bobby Hoyt rebore that I had changed from a .50 to a .54.

I have 74 year old eyes that don't see sights well, no telling what someone with good eyes could get out of the gun.

Forgot to mention; I filed the sight for the last time between the low shot and the next two.

haines low group (2).JPG

Last edited:
That’s a lot better then file and fire. Saves powder, time and gets it right on any gun. Works for windage as well.

[QUOTE

Here is the just finished rifle.
View attachment 103376
[/QUOTE]
Very nice rifle, and flint to boot!!
I shoot .535 with .018 pillow ticking. If ya feel like it, try a box of .535s to compare. You already have a new sight, but for future reference........ Sight Correction Calculator
Click on the link and you will get the calculator below only it will be active.
Larry

IMG_3924.jpeg

[/QUOTE]

I have found that if the bore is straight the front sight should end up about 0.10" lower than the rear relative to the bore centerline for a 50 yard zero.

Latest posts

Back