• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Really?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A seller on eBay can ask anything they want for an item. A buyer on eBay isn't necessarily a best price buyer but, instead, is a spur ofthe moment buyer. To get an idea of the "fair" price for an item on eBay check the "sold" prices for that item and, if those seem high, check online for the same item. If you follow that sequence, you should be able to get an item at the "best price", that is if there is a "best price".

Yep, but has it sold?
In response to " has it sold ?" I collect old folding knives and watch them on ebay. My guess is that 90% of knives
John listed have high prices and Never sell. Folks keep saying that this is what an item is worth because that is what eBay asks for it. That ain't necessarily so!

Duiring my years of selling and buying on eBay, I've found that making an offer to buy at a price of my choosing, not the seller's asking price, has been successful about 70% of the time. I happy to make a purchase at the price I'm willing to pay, and the seller is happy to move the item on. This works best with none commercial sellers.

eBay, I had a couple of bad experiences and my wife said if I considered e-bay again she was going to take my privilege's away.

I know finding used parts for old muzzleloaders is really difficult. While everyone deserves to make a fair profit, It seems though that some who sell these hard-to find-parts up the price quite a bit. A screw could cost $25 plus shipping. Anyway, I just saw on eBay a lock and screw for a .45 TC Seneca listed at $295.00. Heck, you can get a Traditions .50 Springfield Hawken new for $329.00. Just sayin'.

Set your price and make them an offer, too many people nowadays pay without haggling.

Hmmm. I have talked about selling some of my MLs while prices are high. My wife says "No, you enjoy seeing them, handling them, and occasionally shooting them and so do I. Don't sell them." I wanted to have more savings for her when I die but she is revolted by that [I'm a bit older]. I guess I will keep most and sell only the ones I really do not want. I love that gal! Polecat

Well sir you married a wise lady, IME everything I've sold that I liked ; I later regretted.
We should all ask ourselves "how much more will it cost if I wanted to replace it, and how much did I pay for it way back then".

I learned decades ago Quality can't be replaced with sub-standard look a likes, thats when I started listening more, asking questions and researching. Then spending the money on good quality Locks, Barrels and fittings. I learned to learn the few "skills" required to build a 95% kit, and one of them was patience.
When we spend good money on quality, it simply cant ever be replaced at the cost we originally paid.

for years i bought parts off ebay and assembled two or three rifles each winter , with them costing me about 175.00 . it was cheap entertainment while i watched it snow.
then someone wised up and started pricing his "Rare TC Hawken " parts for the cost of a new gun. now a bare cracked stock sells for 250.00.
just as cheap now to buy parts and pieces from TOTW and buy a plank.

My first one in 1983 was a "Rare TC Hawken " with chatter marks all the way done the Bore, dumb dopey pilgrim that I was; I off loaded it within a year after I started to get ejumakated.

No kiddin, not to get off subject but it has relevance to the main topic.
I wanted to replace a hub bolt for my truck, guess what, they wanted 48.00 for one bolt!!! No thanks,

Hmmm. I have talked about selling some of my MLs while prices are high. My wife says "No, you enjoy seeing them, handling them, and occasionally shooting them and so do I. Don't sell them." I wanted to have more savings for her when I die but she is revolted by that [I'm a bit older]. I guess I will keep most and sell only the ones I really do not want. I love that gal! Polecat
Enjoy her and the guns while you are still on this earth. After you are gone, she can do with them as she wants.

No kiddin, not to get off subject but it has relevance to the main topic.
I wanted to replace a hub bolt for my truck, guess what, they wanted 48.00 for one bolt!!! No thanks,
Yup. Oil line to the turbo on GM car sprung a leak. Went to the local GM dealer for new o-rings, need two $10.99 each plus tax. Ordered new line with o-rings, banjo bolt and crush washer on line for $27.49 shipped to me...

I have bought 2 barrels and a stock with the lock, etc. from eBay and was happy with the deal. But....it took lots of time waiting and I had to buy them at times I really did not want to. Sort of a long term shopping place.

You guys shocked at the asking prices for modern TC, CVA, etc parts should try restoring real deal Civil War muskets which is what I like to do. Guys are taking their cut down, beat to hell, wall hangers that were made into shotguns down off the wall and parting them out and turning a $75 gun into $800 worth of parts.

Of course! If the need dictates, you have to pay the piper. But it seems for many that "common sense" isn't so common any more. People will pay the piper even when it's not important or necessary. That's where I draw the line. Big difference between need and want in my book.
I am not sure common sense was ever common.

This is a rural area. You will see lots of older machinery working on farms. Often as not replacement parts are fabricated. The population of welders, blacksmiths, machinists and jacks-of-all-trades is healthy.
Modern machine shop up in town likely will not want to make one screw for your lock. The retired machinist will do it for fun.

I use Ebay often to get a rough idea of the value of something but never use the asking price. If you go to "sold items" and search you'll see what the real world value is. Some stuff I see on there has been on there for over a year and is never going to sell at the asking price. I've also seen several with a ridiculous starting bid but they have a "make an offer" button. There's times I offered half or less than the starting price and they took it. Maybe some sort of weird tactic they use thinking they might catch a sucker ?

Latest posts

Back