• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Real or copy? Colt 1860

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw this for sale. Question is, is it an original or a copy? Other than a serial number, how can you tell?
1679774963245.png

1679775052267.png

1679775145336.png

1679775183208.png

1679775254104.png

1679775303947.png

1679775333265.png

This is what Colt's serial number lookup displayed regarding a gun similar to this one:

Year of Manufacture 1862

Model 1860 ARMY (.44 CALIBER WITH NAVAL ENGAGEMENT SCENE ON CYLINDER)

Now, it could still be a good fake. The thing that makes me suspicious (other than that I am suspicious by nature) is the overall condition of the revolver. It just looks too good to be real. If it is real, you got a good one!

It looks like it's obviously been reblued or touched up at some point, but thre is wear on the blue so it was used and carried after the reblue......it just looks too matte and recent. But it may have been an arsenal refurbished gun that wasn't used a lot? It's hard to tell from pics

I've seen a few old revolvers that reeked like Cold Blue when you picked them up.

It's cut for a stock but has a stock screw that was filed flat, which apparently can be correct since stocks were barely if ever issued or used for the 1860's, and Colt just kept using the cut frames with the screw filed down to keep it from getting in the way.

This is what Colt's serial number lookup displayed regarding a gun similar to this one:

Year of Manufacture 1862

Model 1860 ARMY (.44 CALIBER WITH NAVAL ENGAGEMENT SCENE ON CYLINDER)

Now, it could still be a good fake. The thing that makes me suspicious (other than that I am suspicious by nature) is the overall condition of the revolver. It just looks too good to be real. If it is real, you got a good one!
I'm with you, in that the condition looks too good to be from 1862. It's on an online auction, and the current bid is already more than I'm willing to risk. Thanks for everyone's input.

It looks like the real deal. Some on-line auctions do more research than others, I would be more concerned with their reputation.
Nit Wit

I have a long time friend who is an FFL and a Colt collector. He has 1860's and 1851's that date the Civil War on up that look near new. He has been collecting them for decades.

Once upon a time Colt conversion revolvers could be had pretty cheaply. Not so much anymore. I really gotta get a replacement cylinder for my Uberti version. Check the load and the powder scale three times before you start seating bullets.

Latest posts

Back