Real linen?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Was up to Arrowrock this last weekend for a Santa Fe Trail event
The local museum gave away some clothing they had in storage.
I got a nice shirt that looks like linen.
Now Crazy Crow offers a linen look cloth made out of cotton. I can’t tell it from linen and I don’t know if this shirt is linen or linen look.
But I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth.
It came with solid cuffs. I’m having to add a tab and buttons, still no problem.

Erwan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I can’t tell it from linen and I don’t know if this shirt is linen or linen look.
I really don't know if the different stuff are important for you, but the linen (flax) is a bit fresher than the cotton when wearing and the sliding between the fingers is more frank than that of cotton, Advantage for the linen which is clearly more resistant in time and that is interesting for the duration of use...

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I got a nice shirt that looks like linen.
Now Crazy Crow offers a linen look cloth made out of cotton. I can’t tell it from linen and I don’t know if this shirt is linen or linen look.
You probably did get linen. It would not amaze me that a museum gave away something very nice.

As for the "linen look cloth", I've found that you feel the difference in hot weather when you wear linen instead of cotton muslin, or a linen "substitute". IF you didn't then you'd be wearing very expensive cotton made for the very top-end men's dress shirts, and it would cost you more than a linen shirt, so you'd be wearing linen anyway..., ;)

Crazy Crow might be using Fustain, which is linen and cotton mixed. Fustain

The best way I know of to get some linen shirts a get away from the cotton muslin ones, is to make them yourself. Linen Fabric

LD

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
You probably did get linen. It would not amaze me that a museum gave away something very nice.

As for the "linen look cloth", I've found that you feel the difference in hot weather when you wear linen instead of cotton muslin, or a linen "substitute". IF you didn't then you'd be wearing very expensive cotton made for the very top-end men's dress shirts, and it would cost you more than a linen shirt, so you'd be wearing linen anyway..., ;)

Crazy Crow might be using Fustain, which is linen and cotton mixed. Fustain

The best way I know of to get some linen shirts a get away from the cotton muslin ones, is to make them yourself. Linen Fabric

LD
Crazy Crow does offer fustian also and onsburg , along with wool and linen. And rainbow slevadge wool, but I think that’s more late nineteenth century

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve worked thirty years in bedside nursing. People produce all sorts of stinky stuff, I smoke a pipe and cook a lot of spicy stuff. I think my olfactory senses are too far gone for a smell test😂

Ponderosaman

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my wife Irish linen sheets as a wedding present. It is subtle, but not like any other smell. The material is very wrinkly, but feels slick when ironed and wrinkles again easily. Where cotton feels warm shortly after touching, linen stays cool longer. It is slightly off white in color when in sunlight. I thought the sheets would last forever, but they were far less durable than the Pima cotton sheets that replaced the linen when the material split.

Latest posts