• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Real bullets 250 vs 320 for different rifle twists

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marco

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi!

I got 2 rifles:

A carbine sized traditions kit, model deer hunter. It's .50 and I THINK ITS 1:48 twist.

And.

A full size Cabela's traditional hawken .50 (I DON'T KNOW It's twist ) it's made for Cabela's (has Cabela's brand) in Europe for some kind of company that it's not David pedersoli. I think it's something like IHT or NIH engraved in it. Don't remember now. Sorry.

I would like to shoot real bullets with both rifles but I read that for each twist there's a best choice of real bullet, maybe a 250 or a 320 grains one

Would you please advise me the best bullet for each rifle?

Thank you.

Cheers

Not sure about real bullets but I shoot the 360gr lee improved Minie out of my 1:48 .50 and, it's an absolute tack driver with that bullet and anything from 80-100 grs ffg goex.

Your Cabela's branded Hawken is a 1:48 twist, as well. They will stabilize about any commercial conical available for a 50 cal traditional ML. Which one shoots "the best" can only be determined by trying them with various powder charges & comparing your results.

I would check the twist on the one you don't know. It is probably 1-48 but not necessarily. I have a Cabelas Hawken and it is Not 1-48. It's not had to check. If iy is 1-48 the heavier one should work well.

Thanks you all,
But how about some fellows saying that 250 grains would stabilize best in 1:48 twist than 320 grain real bullets?

Thanks you all,
But how about some fellows saying that 250 grains would stabilize best in 1:48 twist than 320 grain real bullets?

Having shot the 250 in my 1:48 rifle I find it takes about 100 grains of 3f to get it done and when a friend was shooting them he was loading 110 grains of powder to get the best grouping. Which wallops me hard. I only load them during the hunt if I missed my first shot with a prb, due to the conical loading faster. And if I am shooting a deer the wallop doesn't register on me for at least an hour later. :)

I have shot all of 2 of them heavier 320 grain real. Yeah, started with 100 grains of 3f and after two shots I am not doing that again. I am trying to punish the target, not me :)

Hi!!
I am a very big guy so I think recoil shouldn't be a problem

I am concerned about Wich lee r.e.a.l mold mould would be best for a 1:48 twist: a 250 or a 320 one.

I mean, I think I read somewhere here that one kind stabilize better than other one

Thanks
Cheers
Atb

Hi!!

I am concerned about Wich lee r.e.a.l mold mould would be best for a 1:48 twist: a 250 or a 320 one.

I mean, I think I read somewhere here that one kind stabilize better than other one

Thanks
Cheers
Atb
My TC Renegades/Hawkens like the 320 1-48 and 1-35 (Bob Hoyt)

Hi!!

Thanks
Cheers
Atb

They will both stabilize in the 1:48 twist. Quit worrying about it and just go shoot the darn things & find out for yourself how they shoot & which one works the best in YOUR RIFLE. You are NOT going to find out here on the internet, but rather on the shooting range. Doesn't matter what you "read somewhere". A bullet is either stable or it's not. There is no such thing as being "better" stabilized. Just sayin'.

Hello Marco,
I won't grump you out as some ol farts tend to do. My experience is with the 320 grain Lee REAL Bullets, and they stabilize just fine in the 1/20 twist and the 1/48 twist. Plus, they will penetrate better with the 80 additional grains of weight. I can see no benefit using the lighter REAL in a 50 caliber. YMMV, but that is my suggestion on the subject.
If it makes you feel better I can cuss and belittle you to round out this post, but it wouldn't make me feel like a man or cause you pleasure to visit this fine forum, so I'll skip it. Thanks for asking your question. It took many years, much powder and smoke to learn this sport, and if you have the chance I've had you'll see why we've stayed with it as long as we have.
Cheers,

Christopher

My 1 in 48 50 hawken stabilizes the 370 grain maxi ball just fine and in fact is very accurate with the,. The 320 REAL should stabilize just fine. I found them both to shoot better with an over powder wad. Give them a try.

The only problem with the maxi balls is that with the curved metal butt plate they kill on both ends.

Hi!

I got 2 rifles:

A carbine sized traditions kit, model deer hunter. It's .50 and I THINK ITS 1:48 twist.

And.

A full size Cabela's traditional hawken .50 (I DON'T KNOW It's twist ) it's made for Cabela's (has Cabela's brand) in Europe for some kind of company that it's not David pedersoli. I think it's something like IHT or NIH engraved in it. Don't remember now. Sorry.

I would like to shoot real bullets with both rifles but I read that for each twist there's a best choice of real bullet, maybe a 250 or a 320 grains one

Would you please advise me the best bullet for each rifle?

Thank you.

Cheers

A couple of things about Lee REAL bullets. (1) Generally they, and other conical bullets, work best in rifling twists of 1:48 and faster. (2) The weight of the REAL isn't as important as how well it fits your rifle's barrel at the muzzle. (3) All things considered, the heavier REAL has more bearing length and theoretically should be the more accurate of the two. However, you may need to experiment with each weight. (4) If the REAL of either weight is a loose, sloppy fit at the muzzle and as you seat it, there are two easy fixes. First you can paper patch the bullet (2 turns of ordinary printer paper will work). Second, you can beagle the mould (Google it), which will also increase the bullet's diameter.
Btw, it often helps to put a 1/2" diameter card stock wad (cereal box, milk carton, shirt cardboard) atop the powder charge when using a REAL.

Add another voice for over powder card between the powder and conical. It really helps clean up my groups, don't really know why but I do it because it works. And Maven was right on the nose with the paper patch, but I use zigzag rolling papers for the job. :)

Ok, so it will be the 320grains bullet.

Now the hard part: find one combo mold (real+round ball) to buy.

There is none available in every online shop!!

Sad..

Back