• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Real 1858 remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbyengraver

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy one from a gunsmith I have known for 27 years,and is very honest . The gun is coming out of a 66 gun estate everything looks right with the gun the address on the barrel to the cartouche on the grip. And it just feels good in the hand. I have a repo and it dont feel the same. I have heard there are fakes out there, is there anyway to tell.

Equally as important, ascertain this cylinder locks up well, and the gun is mechanically sound, if you intend to shoot it.

Yes everything works as it should. Locks up tight on every cylinder. Would like to know how to spot a fake.

There were 3 different models of the Remington.

The Remington-Beals Army Model REvolver was the first.
Made in 1861-1862 its chief feature is the barrel threads are completely covered by the frame leaving little gap in the area.
The cylinder does not have safety notches.

The next pistol was the Remington 1861 Army Revolver.
The frame was cut away to reveal the barrel threads. The loading lever was relieved on the top so the cylinder pin could be withdrawn with the loading lever still up.
This "improvement" allowed the cylinder pin to move forward causing the cylinder to fall out.
It was fixed by installing a small screw in the loading lever to block the cylinder pins forward movement. This made it necessary to lower the loading lever to remove the cylinder.
Cylinder notches are not on the early production guns but were added to the later made guns.

The third model is the Remington New Model Army which is the one most often reproduced in Italy.

The barrel is 8" long, the cylinder has safety notches.
Serial numbers start in the 15000 range.

The barrel markings say:

PATENTED SEPT. 14, 1858/E. REMINGTON & SONS, ILION, NEW YORK, U.S.A./NEW MODEL

The government acceptance is on the left grip (initials in a cartouche) with sub-inspectors marks on some other parts.

About 106,000 of these were made.

Flayderman's Guide about 7 years ago said that in good condition it was worth $700. In Fine condition its value was $2,500.

I have a chance to buy one from a gunsmith I have known for 27 years,and is very honest

Even a well intentioned friend can be wrong. He may be mistaken on his ability to tell if the gun was real a or a good fake. Since I have started this black powder thing I have attended a couple antique gun shows and auctions and the fakes are every where. And there are “experts” everywhere.
There are places that advertise they do defarbing and antiquing of repos and some are very good. They are all very honest, though? :idunno:

It goes beyond my ability- check out some of the auction houses that advertise in Men at Arms magazine.
On knives, etc- the stamp mark is everything and I have been told that say a Sheffield knife maker also produced scissors, etc- there are guys that cut out that stamp and weld it to a fake knife of a very rare item (Bowie) and try to sell it. I'm not sure but find out if there is any type insurance, etc if you are going to pay a high price- or- pay contingent on a pro inspecting the knife and giving you a letter- at least that way you have a letter of authencity if you decide to resell one day.
Even the pros get suckered sometimes- what hope is there for us mortals? :doh:

Back