• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ready-made patches for sale?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooddaytoya!

40 Cal
Reaction score
I don't own a good enough micrometer to measure the thickness of cloth. Is there a place that sells patches made for loading balls? I'm not talking about patches for cleaning, I use everything from terry cloth to old t-shirts for that. A good-enough micrometer costs $350, which I can't afford.

FWIW, I've been shooting PRB's for over 45 years, and although I own a micrometer, I've yet to measure patch thickness.

Pioneers, mountain men, and soldiers of long ago never owned micrometers so, many years ago, I just went to a fabric store and bought a few yards of both blue & red pillow ticking for less than $10, and cut/lube my own to dance with who brung ya. (aka: K.I.S.S.)

ebay sells them in bulk in whatever thickness you prefer

Here's an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282637040781
My regular dial calipers measure cloth just fine from what I can tell. Sort of gently "pinch" the caliper when u close it down on the cloth and the measurement seems to be pretty accurate.

Walmart has the blue (.015") and the red (.018") striped pillow ticking.

Last edited:
I don't own a good enough micrometer to measure the thickness of cloth. Is there a place that sells patches made for loading balls? I'm not talking about patches for cleaning, I use everything from terry cloth to old t-shirts for that. A good-enough micrometer costs $350, which I can't afford.
I don't know where you are looking for precision measuring instruments, but acceptable ones can be found at Midway USA. The Frankford Arsenal digital Vernier calipers are a good deal. The RCBS micrometer is a good buy also.

Micrometer - MidwayUSA

Last edited:
I don't know where you are looking for precision measuring instruments, but acceptable ones can be found at Midway USA. The Frankford Arsenal digital Vernier calipers are a good deal. The RCBS micrometer is a good by also.

Micrometer - MidwayUSA
Agree. I've had a pair of FAs for about 10 years. They are still going strong.

I have used Ox-Yoke, various patching from ToTW, and denim from Walmart. I do measure the thickness compressed. I have found that the thickness marked on commercial patches is not too accurate anyway...generally they compress to about 20% less than what is indicated on the package...and usually what is on the package isn't even the uncompressed thickness. In net...if it shoots well it really doesn't matter!

Go to Joann's Fabrics and buy a yard of #40 drill cloth. Wash and dry it. Cut it into 1.5" strips. It makes an excellent ball patch.

You can buy them pre cut from Dixie Gun Works, Log Cabin Shop, TOTW, Travelers Antique Trading and many other Sutlers.

I don't know where you are looking for precision measuring instruments, but acceptable ones can be found at Midway USA. The Frankford Arsenal digital Vernier calipers are a good deal. The RCBS micrometer is a good buy also.

Micrometer - MidwayUSA
I'm thinking I need accuracy of plus minus .0001. I wouldn't have any confidence with plus or minus .001. that's why I'm hung up on the $350 micrometer. Maybe my local machinist will do me another favor and measure a few patches for me that I find on my own in the local fabric stores. The last time I asked him, I had the bore plug that I made and asked him to just take one minute off to measure it, and he
grudgingly charged me $15 instead of his hardcore policy of a minimum charge of $125.

Patch thickness is different thickness than the published amount on the package. Checking it w/a compression mike demonstrates this. For instance, Ox-yoke patching labeled .018 , is actually ,014. That's the one I use in my .50 longrifle. If I tried to use true .018 patching , I couldn't load the rifle. It's important for you to learn about measuring with a cheap compression mike. Last one I bought was in a hardware store for $20. Also , note , the kind of mike that looks like a bird's beak isn't good to measure patches with , because it doesn't compress the fabric . and only measures the "loft" ( uncompressed} thickness of patch fabric. ..................oldwood

I'm thinking I need accuracy of plus minus .0001. I wouldn't have any confidence with plus or minus .001. that's why I'm hung up on the $350 micrometer. Maybe my local machinist will do me another favor and measure a few patches for me that I find on my own in the local fabric stores. The last time I asked him, I had the bore plug that I made and asked him to just take one minute off to measure it, and he
grudgingly charged me $15 instead of his hardcore policy of a minimum charge of $125.
There is no way this side of Hades that .0001" is going to have any effect of any amount on a muzzleloader. That goes for ball, powder, patches or anything else.
Don't overthink it......

There is no way this side of Hades that .0001" is going to have any effect of any amount on a muzzleloader. That goes for ball, powder, patches or anything else.
Don't overthink it......
A tool & die maker in training. I've got a cousin who is a master tool & die maker, and he never leaves home without a pair of calipers. He definitely can't go to a gun show with out his gauges.

Actually, you don't need accuracy of 0.0001". The RCBS micrometer for $37.99 (unfortunately out of stock) does have a resolution of 0.0001". The Starrett micrometer for $169.99 is in stock and has resolution of 0.0001".

Patch thickness just needs resolution of 0.001" which can be obtained from digital calipers close enough for our needs. What is needed is repeatability and even the Harbor Freight Tools can do that.

Back