• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ready for new breach plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder14

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok here we go I cut off bad section of barrel 45cal. As was suggested.So the barrel is 15/16 from flat to flat my bore hole is .453/.454
Should I go with 9/16 x18 breach plug. The original drum was resessed this is the issues there was no barrel left and that caused the barrel to fracture. So if I could get direction with the installation of the new breach plug and drum I sure I can do this.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 110
Have to pickup a bottoming tap,I'm figuring going in 1 inch,I'll run a 33/64 drill 1inch in then I'll run my 9/16 tap (bottoming) then measure for drum

Your breech plug will be safe enough if it is 1/2" deep. The drum should be threaded to be ahead of the end of the breech plug. You don't really need to have the drum threaded into the breech plug as CVA/Traditions install their breech plugs.

Get one of the gun building books for descriptions of how to install a breech plug. Alexander's "Gunsmith of Greenville County" is well illustrated and provide good description.

Ok here we go I cut off bad section of barrel 45cal. As was suggested.So the barrel is 15/16 from flat to flat my bore hole is .453/.454
Should I go with 9/16 x18 breach plug. The original drum was resessed this is the issues there was no barrel left and that caused the barrel to fracture. So if I could get direction with the installation of the new breach plug and drum I sure I can do this.
The minor diameter of a 9/16-18 UNF thread is .502-.515. Since this is larger than the .454 diameter and twice the possibly .015 depth of the rifling (.454 + .015 + .015 = 484 diameter) the 9.46-18 UNF thread should work fine.

Thank you,I’m just wanting to get this correct so if i take my time and ask questions i should do just fine. I was questioning if i should us 5/8 or 9/16 breech plug but from my research it appears 9/16 is the way to go.im not sure what length the thread section is going to be on the new breech plug so we will have to wait and see,I’m being told i should not have to go into the barrel more than 1/2 inch.

Yes it definitely was the correct thing to do,now I’m wondering when it comes time to install the drum is it going to be an issue getting the hammer to line up since we will be moving everything forward or will we be ok because the new breech plug wont be as long.I was studying the different breech styles and the side drum was the one I was told to go with They said plug doesn’t have to go much more than a 1/2 inch in instead of the 5/8 the previous one was in.

Real simple. Hole for drum isn’t located or drilled until everything else is done. Half inch thread depth on the plug is where to start, but the face of the plug has to be behind the hole for the drum. Need to be sure everything lines up before removing any metal.

Yes the barrel was 32in now down to 28 1/2 . I am hopefully I can use the drum I removed I know that’s slim chances of it lining back up.So I’m just going to order a new drum.

Yes the barrel was 32in now down to 28 1/2 . I am hopefully I can use the drum I removed I know that’s slim chances of it lining back up.So I’m just going to order a new drum.
Old drum won’t work, even if nipple hole rotates around, that nipple hole will be too far away from the barrel to be under the hammer. Remember the material removed from the barrel flat to move the nipple closer? Suggest a drum with no predrilled hole for the nipple. There are ‘kits’ to help line up, drill and tap the nipple hole. TOW has everything you need.

Thank you,yep I’ve been on TOW checking out the drum alignment kit.just deciding on what type of breech plug i need then we will be set.

Back