• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Re-think on neck knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I've always thought of "neck knives" as a pointless adaptation. Don't think I ever publicly disparaged them, but it's the thought that counts, eh?

So, on a recent hunt I misplaced my bag strap mounted patch knife šŸ”Ŗ. That's actually just my sideways way of admitting that the d#%&m thing had had fallen out of its sheath and was somewhere amongst a carload of hunting and camping gear. šŸ• Further, I now publicly admit that it's not the first time it has happened!

My hunting partner generously produced the here depicted nck knife which he had made. Within hours I was converted to the kneck knife (I know that's not a real word but isn't it cool?). It's every bit as convenient as the strap mount and is handily within reach for other duties when not wearing the shooting bag.

Kneck knife aficionados, I join you. šŸ˜€

20220921_102045_copy_600x800.jpg

20220921_102102_copy_600x800.jpg

Smaller is better. The larger they are the more of a pain they are. Natives, and many whites didnā€™t wear a belt, so around your neck is the next best thing.

I have several. Period and modern. We are spoiled today by thinking we need massive blades. I think most of us would be appalled if we were flung back in time 250 years at the small, thin blades that were used and considered just fine.

I can take a deer apart very quickly with my 2.5ā€ neck knife (Tallpine Rocks!) with maybe one break to freshen the edge. Itā€™s an eye opener to my friends who use several big knives, dedicated cleaning kits, knives with multiple blades etc.

I met a guide last year that only carried a box cutter and a couple extra razor blades for itā€¦he was wicked good with that thing and while I watched him I thought he knows more about being Boone than I doā€¦

I'd never use this little knife for much other than cutting patches. It would be ok for birds or fish.

For big game hunting my pack holds a general purpose knife and a Boning knife along with everything needed to get the parts of a large animal into a tree.

Could be this large.

9299_copy_600x800.jpeg

Thanks for making my point. Nice elk.

That's actually a cow moose. Was about 1000# +/- on the hoof. Not my kill. Was grandsons bow kill two weeks ago. We quartered it and deboned the rest. Took four of us with fully loaded pack frames two trips each to get it out.

The other thing needed is an appropriate saw. Most of the "bone saws" sold to hunters are far too course and are near useless. A plain old hack saw with a 14 or 16 TPI. blade works as good as anything.

As much as where is what. A surgeon could use my edc knife. After sterilizing. He could do a trach or he could amputate a damaged digit. I like it for putting very fresh deer liver on the fire. Or introducing grouse to cuisine.

I do deer with a simple little Old Timer pocket knife, or my Two Feathers neck knife. Nothing big needed. Same can be said for the average elk, however the mud engrained moose hide is a whole new beast on a knife. Man that stuff is hard on an edge!
Walk

I have an aversion to sharpen things dangling around my throat.

My main hunting knife, well my only hunting knife. Has a 4 1/2" blade and has skun and broken down many a big stag.

Just need to get me one of them bucheron knives now though.

Years back a friend gave me a lovely set of old German hunting knives in a combination sheath contained in an oak box. The largest knife has the heft of a cleaver and if you need to quarter big animals it is the ticket. There are several smaller knives which would help you cape anything from a field mouse to a wolf. Curiously, there is nothing particularly suited to birds or fish.

I carry a case sod buster i like the large one as it fits my hands better than the smaller one, made a pancake case ghat fits on my belt in the small of the backā€¦

That's actually a cow moose. Was about 1000# +/- on the hoof. Not my kill. Was grandsons bow kill two weeks ago. We quartered it and deboned the rest. Took four of us with fully loaded pack frames two trips each to get it out.

The other thing needed is an appropriate saw. Most of the "bone saws" sold to hunters are far too course and are near useless. A plain old hack saw with a 14 or 16 TPI. blade works as good as anything.
Cordless sawÅŗall

Back