• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re-think on neck knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always used my Case 2 bladed folder. The blades are carbon steel and are easy to touch up if needed. I have used it to gut, skin, and butcher my deer. Once it did my deer and butchered my sons deer. It now belongs to my son. I made my son a Nessmuk style knife out of some 1/4 thick steel, when I worked in a machine shop. The steel was the same type of steel used as armor plate on WWII battleships. Bomes were no problem for that knife, and you could shave with it.

Smaller is better. The larger they are the more of a pain they are. Natives, and many whites didn’t wear a belt, so around your neck is the next best thing.

I have several. Period and modern. We are spoiled today by thinking we need massive blades. I think most of us would be appalled if we were flung back in time 250 years at the small, thin blades that were used and considered just fine.

I can take a deer apart very quickly with my 2.5” neck knife (Tallpine Rocks!) with maybe one break to freshen the edge. It’s an eye opener to my friends who use several big knives, dedicated cleaning kits, knives with multiple blades etc.

I met a guide last year that only carried a box cutter and a couple extra razor blades for it…he was wicked good with that thing and while I watched him I thought he knows more about being Boone than I do…

Yeah, I've watched a pathologist filet fish and clean rabbits using a scalpel at a scary fast pace....

Back