• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re: Newbie question - CVA Bobcat first impressions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave63

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well we took the Bobcat out today. What a blast ! There definately is something different about it (BP).

At 25 steps, PRB and 50 grains of Pyrodex, the thing is dead on. Didn't get a chance to really dial it in at different ranges. But I do think it'll be a good shooter. Already see another rifle in my future. The only drag is the time between shots. I'm sure that with some time, I'll get a system down, and will be getting 'em off faster.

My only complaint ? The question is, I don't know if it is the rifle or the CCI caps. You have to let the hammer fall twice to ignite the caps. Changed nipples, and still the same. The only way it will fire on the first hammer fall is to take the butt of my knife and give it a few good taps. If you do that, it will fire on the first try. I was at my cousin's place, and he took one of the nipples in and polished the outside diamter, and he said that he shortened the nipple (Dremel). It was definately not a noticeable amount shorter, but it did help. After he did that it would fire on the first try 9 out of 10 times.

Do you think it is the cap, or is this a common thing that all of you seasoned guys have learned how to correct?

Once again, thanks for all of the support.

Dave

I am not one of the "seasoned" one's by any means :) but you might consider trying a different brand of cap. I use Remington and they fire first time every time.

IronMan

Been my limited experience that the hammer to nipple angle can be slightly askew, and needs slight adjustment- just what your cousin did with polishing and trimming. I use a small file to get the same effect. I use the Remiongton caps only, but that's the only #11 the local supplier carries and they were on sale for 1.25 a tin.

/vic

Well we took the Bobcat out today. What a blast ! There definately is something different about it (BP).

At 25 steps, PRB and 50 grains of Pyrodex, the thing is dead on. Didn't get a chance to really dial it in at different ranges. But I do think it'll be a good shooter. Already see another rifle in my future. The only drag is the time between shots. I'm sure that with some time, I'll get a system down, and will be getting 'em off faster.

My only complaint ? The question is, I don't know if it is the rifle or the CCI caps. You have to let the hammer fall twice to ignite the caps. Changed nipples, and still the same. The only way it will fire on the first hammer fall is to take the butt of my knife and give it a few good taps. If you do that, it will fire on the first try. I was at my cousin's place, and he took one of the nipples in and polished the outside diamter, and he said that he shortened the nipple (Dremel). It was definately not a noticeable amount shorter, but it did help. After he did that it would fire on the first try 9 out of 10 times.

Do you think it is the cap, or is this a common thing that all of you seasoned guys have learned how to correct?

Once again, thanks for all of the support.

Dave

i never had any trouble with cci caps. judging form your description you may be using #10's when you should be using #11's .from what you are saying the cap is not seated properly.tapping the cap with a pocket knife is a bad(dangerous)idea. :nono: you could try removing your nipple and chucking the treaded part in a drill(just enough to hold it )and lightly spin it over a file. just take a real small amount at a time until your cap seats properly. :m2c: :thumbsup:

"The only drag is the time between shots. I'm sure that with some time, I'll get a system down, and will be getting 'em off faster"

I find it relaxing. You need to have sometime so you aren't feeling rushed at the range, but the time it takes allows you to slow down and enjoy the day. I believe fatigue is less of a factor, because you get a rest between shots.
I agree with the other comments about the caps, nipple. Make sure you have #11's. If so your hammer and nipple are probably not lining up quite right. There is a slight difference in brands of caps you might try another brand of #11's also.
Glad to hear you enjoy it. :thumbsup:

I had a Bobcat with the same problem. The hammer was not striking the cap squarely.
I removed the hammer and bent it to line it back up.
If you do this, do it very carefully.
I clamped mine in a vice padded with leather and bent it with pliers also padded with leather.
It didn't take much to line it up.

Huntin

Dave,
I have used CCI caps for years, with good results. I agree with what others have said. Make sure you are using #11 caps, and not #10's. The #10's are smaller, and will not seat properly on the nipple.
I like the Bobcat. It's a nice little rifle. I'd get one if I could find it in .54 cal. Its lock is not top quality, though. It's possible the hammer is misaligned. Or the the factory grease on the internal lock parts could be dry, gumming up the moving parts. I've seen a brand new rifle whose hammer wouldn't even fall when the trigger was pulled. A quick wash wish brake cleaner, followed by gun oil, fixed that. You may want to inspect your lock, see if it needs some cleaning and/or lubing. Also, check if the hammer has any sideway play.
Be safe, and enjoy your new rifle.
Vanstg

Yes, I am using #11 caps.

I think the fact that we shortened the nipple and it helped, supports the alignment theory. I'll take a look at that.

Thanks again,
Dave

Back