Re-Boring And Rifling A 50 Caliber Hawken

Discussion in 'The Gun Builder's Bench' started by victorio1sw, May 20, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 26, 2019 #21

victorio1sw

victorio1sw

victorio1sw

32 Cal

Thanks for providing Robert Hoyt's contact info. I will call him and leave a message, if he cannot answer at the time.

My question about loss of barrel length stemmed from a "feeling" that there may be some rifling tool "chatter" near the muzzle and breach end. The breach end would be left as is, and the muzzle shortened beyond the chatter length. But my experience with re-boring and re-rifling is ZERO!

2. May 26, 2019 #22

victorio1sw

victorio1sw

victorio1sw

32 Cal

Thanks for providing Robert Hoyt's contact info. I will call him and leave a message, if he cannot answer at the time.

My question about loss of barrel length stemmed from a "feeling" that there may be some rifling tool "chatter" near the muzzle and breach end. The breach end would be left as is, and the muzzle shortened beyond the chatter length. But my experience with re-boring and re-rifling is ZERO!

Thanks again.

3. May 26, 2019 #23

Huntschool

Huntschool

Huntschool

40 Cal MLF Supporter

Southernmost Illinois (6.5 hours South of Chicago)
    If you can find copies of Bairds two books they are totally dedicated to the Hawken rifle. Both are way out of print and in some cases are going quite high on the secondary market, but they are great books.

Have fun with your gun.

4. May 26, 2019 #24

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

IMO, anyone interested in buying John Baird's books should not waste their money on his, ""FIFTEEN YEARS IN THE HAWKEN LODE". Way too much talk about modern stuff.
    His book, "Hawken Rifles The Mountain Man's Choice" is pretty good with some interesting information and a lot of pictures.

I think Charles E. Hanson's books, "THE PLAINS RIFLE" and "THE HAWKEN RIFLE: ITS PLACE IN HISTORY" are about the best books on the subject.

tc45dave and SDSmlf like this.
  5. May 27, 2019 #25

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

40 Cal.

Good to know.

6. May 27, 2019 #26

Huntschool

Huntschool

Huntschool

40 Cal MLF Supporter

Southernmost Illinois (6.5 hours South of Chicago)
    I would have to agree about "15 Years in the Hawken Lode". My bad for saying two books..... As you said, Charlie's books are excellent books.

7. Jun 1, 2019 #27

Eterry

Eterry

Eterry

45 Cal.

If it was mine I certainly wouldnt shorten the barrel, I would call Mr. Hoyt and get it re-bored to a 62.
    BTW, how did Bill come to breach the barrel? Are you a Jack County native?
    I met Bill in his later years and am friends with the owner of his last shop.