• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RB - ya sure make me look good

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
RB,

The stuff ya fixed me up with sure did work good! Here's a few of the shot's from me break'n her in. I only got two shot's in the last group 'cause my wife calt and ask ever so kindly - "where are you." OOpps 4 hours of shoot'n, didn't even get to adjust the sites yet. LOL! MAN THAT WAS FUN!!! I never had that kind of fun shooting thet disc. rifle I had. I love this thang!

I really wish ya could 'ave been there! In a way ya were cause on the third load I fergot the powder!!!! @#%$ - I used the pull the nipple trick (folks don't try this at home). She work'd jest fine, second time I did it the ball flew across and bounced before it hit the berm. If ya look real close between the rifle and the cammera ya can see a ball I dug out of the dirt half flattened.

bench.jpg

I do need ta complain about the group, I could barely make out how big the group was.

group.jpg

Again, I'm in yer debt, jest gonna have to find a better way ta get even with ya - heck a couple of folks come over jest to say how perty the rifle were and wanted to know what the finish was.
YMHS
Spot

SSE - I'd recommend bribe'n RollingB inta coachin' ya through buildin' one of these!

Spot

Well!! It's about time your got your sorry A$$ home.
We've been waiting here all day for you to show up and you come sneeking in with that beg S*** Eaten Grin on your face!!
The way you treat us!! I've got a mind to .....WHATS THAT SMELL? DID YOU STEP IN SOMETHING? DID YOU HAVE EGGS FOR LUNCH??? OH MY GOD! YOUR STINKING UP THE WHOLE HOUSE!!
GET THAT THING OUTTA HERE RIGHT NOW............

We told you it was going to be more fun than you can shake a stick at!

Real good shootin by the way, and don't worry about the sights needing adjustment. They will just give you a good reason to go back and have some more fun.

Zonie',

Ya old Muskrat, yer partially responsible fer me bein' late. Remember that tang problem.

BTW when I started shootin' the wind were blown' about 20 miles an hours and I thought to me self. Hell that ain't much smoke. Second from the last shot the wind stopp'd and I got to see some. Ahch, it weren't bad at all.

I lick'd my patches and swab'd in between, and when that patch come out! Nice smell, real nice. After a while if yer lucky ya miss the patch and get a tongue coat of burn't powder - yuck!

Let's see, what else did I learn. Oh ya, If yer not careful and tap a clean'n patch on the way out the bugger can inhail and eat it.

I had a ball, should've been able to share a drink with the fellers who help'd me build it. Another day.

Spot

Spot,.... You don't owe me any "debt", other then you have'n lots of fun with yore traditional riflegun!! :applause: :applause: :: :D

Good lookin', good shootin' rifle; BOYS I'd say another one has been bit by that old bug.

DEADDAWG,.... Me thinks, ol' Spot has jest started a "life-long addiction" with these kind'a rifleguns, and I hear it was all "Zonie's fault"!! HA! HA! HA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mrs. Spot,.... I tryed ta talk Mr. Spot out'a mess'n with these type'a rifleguns,.. but,... thet ol'Zonie can be quite tha "sweet-talk'er"!! :applause: :applause: :: :D

Ya'll don't know (or maybe ya do) how much fun I'm having with this, both at the range and home.

Mrs. Spot is lookin' at me crock't, not because I was gone so long as she can't seem to understand how excited I'm getting about shoot'n this thing.

I brought her the gun more then oncest ta look at, keep gett'n that raised eyebrow look. The riflegun were clean afer I put it on the kitchen table with some of the targets. Hardly able to contain myself I tolt her of the sucess - . One raised eyebrow, and half a smirt she pat'd me on the shoulder and said "good shoot'n Tex." - Naw honey ya this is just down right cool. I think I heard her laugh just a bit as she left the room.

Still got a big old shxt eat'n Grin on my face. I managed to eat up two thirds of my roundballs. I'll be melt'n lead and look'n fer pillow ticker afore the weeks out. Cain't wait to see the look I get when I ask Mrs. Spot to accompany me to Joanne Fabric's. LOL!

P.S. - Zonie, I got my dog good with barrel spray when was Clean'n it. I almost din't let her out but thank god I remember'd yer post. HAHAHAAHAHAHAA. ::

Spot

Spot: Not that I know anything about women (I don't think anyone does) but most of them have some sort of hobby they have dabbled with like sewing, knitting, painting, gardening....
If that's the case with Mrs Spot you just have to try to describe it in terms of her hobby like

sewing: "It's just like making a new dress for a formal dance and having everyone admire it"

Knitting: It's just like making a sweater for Uncle Bill for Christmas and having him tell you it's the most beautiful sweater he's ever had..AND MEAN IT!"

Painting: It's like finishing a painting so well your happy with it and everyone else says "You Did That? It's Beautiful!"

Gardening: It's just like planting a rare plant and having it grow like no other person has ever gotten theirs to grow."

Or you can just keep grinning. Sooner or later, she'll catch on and be happy that your happy.

And RollinB! Not so fast there. Your up to your neck in this thing too and I for one am not letting you off with Mrs Spot. As I recall, you two were already getting this thing going when I went over to BSB and listened in.

"Zonie,.... I think you got me mixed up with some other "rollingb",.... I'd never chat on a site thet catered to modern-centerfire rifleguns!! :applause: ::

I'm as innocent as a "new-born babe" in regards to the "fix", you'n Spot now find yoreselves in with Mrs. Spot!!!! :p /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif :: :: ::

'Zonie,

Shhhhhh :shocking: Don't mention no paint'n.

I'm sposta start paint'n the insides of the house this year. I were lucky Mrs. Spot didn't think of that this weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

If'n I'm lucky I'll get away with it again next weekend. And God forbid I'm think'n about building a riflegun for my son now. Hey RB, what's a shorter riflegun kit thet a kid could toat around in the woods?

Man, If Mrs. Spot reads this I'm sunk! ::

hehehe -

Spot

Spot,.... HA! HA! HA!.... Weeeeeell let'seeee!!
Lyman also makes the Trade Rifle, brass hardware, 28" barrel, .54 cal., and single trigger.

And, the Deerstalker, (kind'a ugly) with blackened hardware, 24" barrel, .54 cal., and single trigger.

MidSouth sells the Lyman Trade Rifle for $206.36

and, the Lyman Deerstalker for $189.81

The "Trade Rifle" is by far the better look'n of the two, with it's brass hardware, and more traditional triggerguard!!

Neither of these 2 rifles are offered in "kit" form however!! (so thet takes some of the "fun" out of'em!! :D)

NOTICE!!... if Mrs. Spot finds out 'bout all this, tell'er 'Zonie says to buy one of these rifleguns for yore son!! ::

P.S.,.... "HECK"!!... I fergot to tell you "the rest of the story"!!
If you git the Trade Rifle (which isn't offered in "kit" form), you can still have fun make'n it into a "one of a kind", by strip'n the "blue'n" off everthin, and brown'n it, in fact you could even "refinish" the stock or sumpthin!! ::

Spot!!!!!!!..... This blind-child jest noticed a "mistake" on yore riflegun, now don't git "shook up" or nuthin, 'cause "it" can be fixed without TOO much trouble, and no-one here will EVER notice the "fix" afterwards, also it won't cost nuthin, and afterwards it should look like a riflegun is supposed'ta, and I know of at least one other fella what done the same "horrorable thing" to his riflegun when he done his "kit",.... (his name was "Roy" BTW!::),.... so it's not all thet UNCOMMON'a mistake, 'specialy after shoot'n centerfires such as Ruger Super Blackhawks (which ain't REAL guns anyway), and I'll bet yore wife probly didn't notice "it" either, but I'm not sure if anybuddy else "here" noticed "it", so I'll try "NOT" to make a "big-deal" out of the MISTAKE, but!!!!,........ did you notice thet yore front-sight is on "backwards"?? :) (I won't tell anyone, if you don't! ::)

rollingb - Jus turn yer 'puter 'round, problem solved.

Regards, sse

SSE,..... HA! HA! HA!... Yeah!! thet'ed work too, but, It's much easy'er to turn the front-sight around!! ::

I figgered on give'n Spot a "start" to his ol' ticker when he first see's my post, think'n it might be sumpthin serious, 'stead of a 2 second "fix"!! :D

I've seen muzzleloaders at gun-shows and at shoot'n-competitions, thet also had some front-sights on "backwards", so it is an easy "common mistake"!! :D

Kind'a got me worryed tho, since he ain't posted since I did,..... I sure hope I didn't cause him to have a "heart-attack"!! :: ::

Hey Spot, take the paintin'! Every time I talk about getting something new, my wife make a bee line for the base exchange to see what kind of new 22K jewelry they have in. When I got back for NC that last time it cost me an additional $800 in jewelry. Take the paintin', it's cheaper.

RB: It shur were nice o ye not ta make a big issue outter that front sight. Som people might make a BIG ISSUE OUT OF SOMETHING LIKE THAT but not ole RollinB! Why ye only said it wer a BIG MISTAKE about a dozen times afore ye said what it wer !
Good ole RollinB! Claimin that he wer never on some other forum whar Ah found the both of ye an guided ye to this har Paradise! Thar can't be another nice good hearted feller like ye wit the same name nowhere in the whole world Ah says!

Spot: As ye know, em factorys don't put out Quality Precision guns like ye can build. Give a hard thought ta gettin one and usin it fer a startin place fer a Fine Gun. Jus thin of it as a kit someones kinda put tagather ta keep em pieces from bouncin around in the box afore ye got it home.

RB,

:: :p :shocking: I wonder'd bout which way thet front site were sposta go.

Least that ain't gonna take me long ta fix. I need to cut down that front site anyway to get her lined up right. I were hold'n high when I did them groups.

Spot

Spot,.... Yep!!.. turn'n thet front sight around, will give you a much more "distinct" front sight, 'specialy when yore shoot'n in bright sunlight (even tho it's "browned")!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Spot: Not only will turning it around give you a better image to sight with but IMO it will keep you from hurting your hand as you load.
When loading some of us hold the gun at the muzzle with our left hand and then slide our hand down the barrel as we transition from loading to the shooting position. That means our hand can slide down over the sight, so if the curved part is forward it doesn't bite the hand that feeds it (so to speak).

Latest posts

Back