• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

RB or REAL bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hesp

40 Cal
Reaction score
Here in Montana our Muzzle loader season is still a primitive weapons hunt. No inline shooters. Front loaders only. As to the projectile, " Must only use plain lead projectiles". "Skirts or gas checks on the base of the projectiles are acceptable". Our big game season here runs deer & elk at the same time. That means when hunting you need an acceptable elk capable projectile. My Lyman Great Plains 54 cal rifle has a 1/60 twist designed primarily for RB. I realize that the round ball is elk capable when placed properly, especially on a broad side , thru the rib-cage shot. Problem is , many times elk are facing away , or toward you at an angle. I don't feel confident in the RB to penetrate thru the heavy muscle & bone on these angled shots. My solution is the Lee 300gr REAL bullet. Yes, I understand an even heavier projectile is available, but my 1/60 twist has to stabilize it. Picture shows the RB next to the short 300gr REAL bullet. Anyone shot heavier projectiles accurately thru a slow twist barrel. Your thoughts.

Attachments

• RB  REAL 001.JPG
    RB REAL 001.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 12
Here in Montana our Muzzle loader season is still a primitive weapons hunt. No inline shooters. Front loaders only. As to the projectile, " Must only use plain lead projectiles". "Skirts or gas checks on the base of the projectiles are acceptable". Our big game season here runs deer & elk at the same time. That means when hunting you need an acceptable elk capable projectile. My Lyman Great Plains 54 cal rifle has a 1/60 twist designed primarily for RB. I realize that the round ball is elk capable when placed properly, especially on a broad side , thru the rib-cage shot. Problem is , many times elk are facing away , or toward you at an angle. I don't feel confident in the RB to penetrate thru the heavy muscle & bone on these angled shots. My solution is the Lee 300gr REAL bullet. Yes, I understand an even heavier projectile is available, but my 1/60 twist has to stabilize it. Picture shows the RB next to the short 300gr REAL bullet. Anyone shot heavier projectiles accurately thru a slow twist barrel. Your thoughts.
Do it all the time with a 1-58 twist (Hoyt) barrel (TC Renegade ) Lee Real Thou I hear a round ball 54 is a great moose killer over a 100+ grains of OE2f/ Ed

Yes, I understand an even heavier projectile is available, but my 1/60 twist has to stabilize it. Picture shows the RB next to the short 300gr REAL bullet. Anyone shot heavier projectiles accurately thru a slow twist barrel. Your thoughts.
I did try to shot short/small Minié bullets (290 grains (click on 290 to see)) in one of my 1/60 and the result was poorer than with a RB, and I could say very bad. But they are perfect with an 1/21" Pedersoli Tryon Match...
Before anything, you can go there and see what is doing about stabilization of a REAL, I don't believe that the result'll be good. Calculator .....
The twist of 1/60 is the best for PRB but not really for a longer bullet, and you'll certainly need a twist of 1/48" for a REAL...

Read over on teh modern forum shooter reporting running a maxi over a wad and big charge and getting acceptable groups with a 1:60 twist...

Personally I say try it, you have nothing to loose but some time, lead and powder.

Maxi balls and Lee r.e.a.l.s were all I shot in my 54 Great Plains over various powder charges and all were as accurate as I can shoot. Which in my younger good eyesight days was cloverleaf groups @ 75 yds.

The GPR was originally and for many years built with 1:48 twist. The 1:60 came later. Can't recite the year for you though.

Back