• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rawhide sheaths

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GYJ

40 Cal
Reaction score
Finished these last year. Rawhide sheath on top of a quick & dirty blackpowder bag I made the year before. Mostly antique French and Venetian beads with tin cones and horse hair. Braintan fringe.

IMG_1569b.jpg

Don't remember where the knife came from. Maybe Dixie Gun Works but it's not my work.
IMG_1572b.jpg

IMG_1570b.jpg

Rawhide sheath for a big Hudson Bay camp knife from ML Knives. Modern brass and Czech beads along with antique French pound beads and padres. Some really old chevrons in there as well. Braintan fringe.
IMG_1573b.jpg

IMG_1574b.jpg

Didn't take any pics of just the bag but here's the inside detail. My first time doing a cloth lining and bound edge. The knife is an Old Hickory I found at the local flea market. All I had to do is stain the handle and add the rawhide wrap.
IMG_1576b.jpg

I know this post is a few months old but I want to ask if you did anything to the rawhide to get that color? They are very nice

I do quite a bit to get the color on the rawhide. If you want it dark, you have to dye the inner liner as well, before you start putting it together. It also helps the dye the rawhide on both sides. It takes on some color but not a lot. Then I further darken it with Fiebings antiquing paste before coating the whole thing in satin polyurethane.

I've mentioned this before but Crazy Crow sells rawhide shields that are painted white on one side and THICK rawhide. You scrap off the paint and you can get two large knife sheaths.

You're right there, stiff as a wood board. I thought I wanted rawhide but leather is flexible and sort of conforms to the knife. Does anyone know if beaver tails were used for sheaths by mountain men. The later cowboys had them but not sure about pre-1840.

You do some very fine work. Make your own patterns? This will be a really great project for me in the near future.Thanks for sharing.

I also will say that you do some very nice work. Those rawhide sheathes are AWSUM :cool: ;):thumb:

Back