• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Raw shorn wool and a hornet nest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Crawford

50 Cal.
Reaction score
All,
Today was a banner day. I took my first pheasant with the smoothbore and my friend gifted me a bag full of raw wool and a hornets nest from his farm.
I've read of folks using both but I'm looking for examples of how. Over powder? Over shot? How much? How lubricated? The paper outer of the nest or the honeycomb interior?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Daryl

Look up books by Dr. Sam Fadala, as I recall from reading his work years ago, he used the hornet's nests for wadding, and perhaps also wool. By the way, do not take a cold hornet's nest into a warm house and leave it; If the inhabitants are still in residence and warm up, they will become active and belligerent and cause Pandora's golden heebie-jeebies.

Thanks, yeah, the nest is dead. it was sprayed a few weeks ago. It is in the back of my truck regardless of the fact that I know they are dead.
I'll look up books mentioned. Do you recommend specific titles? I just found out he's written a lot!

Last edited:
Daryl, I use wasp nesting in my smoothies and the there is no special formula for using wasp nesting that I know of. I just load my powder charge and grab a pinch of nesting, the cones that hold the wax make the best gas sealer.....I think. The outer nest paper I use for a over ball wad if needed. When I am shooting a match, I don't bother with the over ball wad.
We are almost neighbors, I am up in the woods by the PA/NY border. There are some good rondy's and shoots within driving distance of you.

Latest posts

Back