• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rattlesnake Powderhorn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
When the North woods freeze over for 6 months, you get a lot of time on your hands.
Inspired by the print we all know. The base plug and display base are of curly maple I found in my barn. Went with ferric nitrate crystals, heat gun, honey maple stain and 6 coats of Permalyn gun stock finish.
The rattle is the original cut off tip. Waiting for the antique knob for the large end to get delivered.
The rear reflects my sentiments of another bleak frozen winter. Sigh. Enjoy.
025 (800x600).jpg 023 (600x800).jpg 022 (800x600).jpg 021 (800x600).jpg
028 (600x800).jpg

Last edited:
Good scrimming Ames. Just one comment going forward. Almost always the scrim was oriented to be read by someone else looking at the horn on the owners side, or perpendicular from the base to the tip, as on a map horn, or sometimes on an angle wrapping around. But almost never oriented to be read by the wearer himself. Just my 2 cents.

Yes.
But this was done to fit the shape of the horn once carved. If you do the artwork and text on a piece of paper, then flip it the other way it no longer flows with the shape of the horn. It just wouldn't lay right for me.
As a display piece it worked better this way.

Ever thought about covering your knife's sheath with a rattlesnake skin to go along with it? There is historic precedence (to a degree) for it:

Amongst all British regiments which served in America during the War for Independence, the 62nd Regiment had a unique, documented uniform modification made to the bayonet scabbards by some of its men on campaign, thanks to the general order dated Ticonderoga, New York, 6 July 1777: “The 62d Regiment to take possession of Mount Independence; the Regiment Prince Frederick to take possession of Ticonderoga; Brigadier General Hamilton to command the two regiments.” Before the name was changed to “Mount Independence” by the rebels in 1776, this 300 foot peninsular height overlooking the Lake Champlain Valley was known as “Rattlesnake Hill,” and with good reason: the place was famous for its overabundance of timber rattlesnakes. The European soldiers of Burgoyne's army were both terrified and fascinated with the snakes—especially rattlesnakes—found in America, and there is no end of correspondence by the officers upon the subject. This fascination took an unexpected turn with the soldiers of the 62nd Regiment, as expressed by Lieutenant James Green (26th Regiment), who had been sergeant-major of the 62nd Regiment in 1777, in a letter to his friend Mr. Bainton written on 26 January 1781:

With respect to the wild Animals of America, I never saw any except a Fox now and then. The Snakes indeed are terrible and numerous. I have killed several with my own hands. I have seen Rattle Snakes Seven feet long. They were in such plenty near Ticonderoga that the Men used to cover their bayonet Scabbards with the Skins.

Green was alluding to the fact that the 62nd Regiment, as a whole or in part, garrisoned Rattlesnake Hill from 6 July though 12 August 1777 before being ordered to rejoin Burgoyne's main army. The men no doubt served the rest of the campaign with their timber rattlesnake skin covered bayonet scabbards.

http://62ndregiment.org/soldier_arms.htm

Gus

Back