• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rare Smoothbore Carbine?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deezil33

32 Cal
Reaction score
I recently acquired this percussion musket of some sort. The overall length is just under 37 inches. The barrel length is 21 inches. The bore appears to be a .54 cal. I haven't cleaned the bore yet, but it looks to be smooth. The barrel and "receiver" is one piece, not threaded together. The only markings on it are the serial numbers "521" on the barrel, inside plate, and the inside of the lock mechanism. I have some pictures below. Any ideas on what this is? Does not appear to be a one off.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 124
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 124
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 120
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 113
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 107
The gun appears to be similar to a Allen & Wheelock Single Shot Centerhammer Muzzle-loading gun.

Looking at the photo of one of these in the FLAYDERMAN'S GUILD TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN ARMS, 9th edition, page 68, the trigger guard is not the same and the buttplate on the gun in the book's photo has a deep curve to it, typical of the guns made in the 1850's. Also, the wrist of the stock on your gun seems to extend up at least half way to the receiver frame.

The book says this about the gun they show:

"Single-Shot Muzzle-Loading Center Hammer Percussion Rifle by Allen & Wheelock. (a.k.a. "No 10 Inside Cock"). Made c. 1850's. Quantity unknown, very limited.
Amde in various calibers and barrel lengths. Also made as a smoothbore shotgun.
Irono mountings; lock-casehardened, the barrel browned. Wooden ramrod beneath barrel.
Walnut buttstock with crescent shaped buttplate; no forestock. Stock sual; earlier production had narrow iron forend.
Serial numbered. Barrel marking: ALLEN & WHEELOCK.
A distinctive feature is the center hung hammer slightly offset to the right to allow for sighting, and the long integral iron frame extending, full length of the wrist. Rare."

Does your gun have a metal buttplate at the rear of the stock or has it been cut off leaving nothing but wood? I can't tell from your pictures.

It has a brass butt plate. Not much of a curve though. You wouldn't have any pictures by any chance?

Attachments

• a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 83
From my post above:

"...Barrel marking: ALLEN & WHEELOCK...."

Because Flayderman put it all in capital letters, the marking would be in caps.

I suppose they could have made guns without barrel markings but I think it is more likely if a gun is unmarked, it is probably made by another company.

Back in the day, copying other gun company's firearms by other companies was pretty common. That's why Colt roll engraved his guns with distinctive markings and why he took many copy cat companies to court.

Back