Ranger in Green

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by aloyalistdawg, Dec 28, 2006.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 28, 2006 #1

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.

Hello
    This is what I think my persona would be like.
    The Year is 1776, and now I am a loyalist, I am of German decent, I once lived in New York region. My father had owned a farm, it was passed to me. I planned to pass it to my oldest son. It was said to be the "best land in our county". It was envedied by many, and sought after by as many. There was no way I would sell. Then came the revolution, I choose to sit this one out. It really didn't matter to me who was in control. I just wanted to mind my own, and farm. The so called patriots wanted my land. They branded me a loyalist, a dawg, a slave to the King. The confiscated my home, my lands my stock. They drove my family into the bush.Then my land was sold to the highest bidder a bother of a local land barren. The one who first accused me of being a loyalist dawg.
    I meant a man by the name of Rodgers. He gave me a promise, a chance to take back my lands, settle a dept that was owed to both my sons, and I. He gave me a "Bess" and a green uniform, and a few meals meals a week. But he gave my family a safe haven in the city of New York. The promise of more land, and more important revenge.
    Now I stand in line with his "light Company" dressed in a green "newmarket Jacket" white small clothes, and long dark brown gatters, a black leather cap, black leather slings, and Bayonet scabard. I trained hard, both in shooting, the bayonet, light company fighting drills. Now I am shooting my Bess beside my file partner and fighting to reap my revenge, settle the score for my sons. I faught from the north east to the deep south patrolling, taking revenge, casting the rebel out of our path.
    I hope this war will be over soon so I can go back to my farm, my boys and their mother's grave... I will keep you all informed how this war goes...
    my best regards a Loyalistdawg

2. Jan 4, 2007 #2

JiminTexas

JiminTexas

JiminTexas

40 Cal.

History is a strange thing isn't it? Yes, it is because the victors write the history. History and tales of the Revolutionary Waqr have taught us things like Paul Revere's Ride where he suppopsedly cried out "The Brittish are coming!" He would never have said that. After all, at that point He was a British citizen. He may have said the Red Coats are coming or the Regulars are coming, but the Colonies we were at that moment under the rule of the Brittish. We (The Rebels) were the traitors and Benedict Arnold was the patriot. My goodnees how things change! It was only after the war when the victor was determined that the "facts" were "correctly documented". I applaude you for your position and thank you for reminding us that this was not a simple master Vs. slave revolution.

3. Jan 22, 2007 #3

Homesteader

Homesteader

Homesteader

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

I've got to take issue with your assertion that Benedict Arnold was a Patriot (to Britain) rather than traitor. (I understand your meaning regarding Britain / being British, of course.)

Arnold, as one of the great Heroes of Saratoga (maybe THE hero), should by all rights have been honored and promoted far more than he was, and could well have held a place in history similar to what Washington does. Let's face it, the American victories earlier in the war were pretty much his.

But Arnold did, indeed, turn against the forces with which he'd previously fought. By definition that made him a traitor. And it wasn't just his plot with Andre, remember. He actually took a British command and led arms against his former comrades until Cornwallis' surrender.

Too bad for him. My understanding is he lived out his life in England shunned by the British aristocracy, who evidently understood the manner of man who would turn against fellows-in-arms.

If he had been Loyalist from the beginning it would be different, in my opinion. Hurt feelings, however, don't excuse one from treachery.

But then, I am a South Carolina militiaman Partisan. :blah:

(PS: I do concede whole-heartedly that history is generally a pack of lies agreed upon by the victors. Napolean wrote that? Whatever, he was right.

:v

4. Jan 26, 2007 #4

calico jack

calico jack

calico jack

32 Cal.

History is like an accident scene. If you have 10 different witnesses, you will get ten different versions of what happened. The point at which the stories all agree is the point closest to the truth. That is why a good historian, and I admit there are few, looks at all sides and tells the story warts and all. None of us like to admit we are wrong, especially when it comes to our past and the things that were done. Every piece of history has things in it that we would like to not mention or forget. To do that however is a lie of omission. That is why it is not truly history until those that lived it are gone. It is only then that we can start to review what happened and what was said and try to come up with something that approches the truth. As a result Bennidect Arnold can be both a hero and a traitor. Washington ask that if Arnold were caught and executed that his leg, that was wounded at Saratoga, be cut off and buried with full honors. He was a hero who turned traitor. This is something that has taken us 200 + years to admit. This is not revising history it is only the facts. Who knows what they will say about this time in history 200 years from now.

5. Jan 26, 2007 #5

Homesteader

Homesteader

Homesteader

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

Calico, I agree completely with your assertions, including the assessment of Arnold. Interesting tid-bit about the leg. I've never come across that before, but it does have the ring of truth to it. Sounds like Washington.

So that I can back up what I say in conversation with friends, may I ask where you read that? Thanks much.

6. Jan 29, 2007 #6

Puffer

Puffer

Puffer

40 Cal.

In MHO opinion, you are to be APPLAUDED :hatsoff: We as Amer.s TOO often forget, the other side of the story. I have been involved in a major conflict (as an advisor) & I found that the MAJOR # of the "common population, just wanted to "live their lives" as best as they could. :v

Puffer

7. Feb 17, 2008 #7

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.

Hello Puffer, Homesteader, and Calico Jack

I would like to thank you all for your kind words. I did alot of research in finding information on this regiment. I was memeber of the direct desendants of the Queen's rangers, being "the Queen's York Rangers". I also have family ties to this regiment through out our history. We have found variuos records and documents, as well as documentaries (such as "Canada the peoples history" even though this one has a "slight Canadian slant"), that seem to point to this was a common reason that most joined. They either had this type of situation happen to them , or family, or friends. Well cheers again and thank You.. My deepest respect and best regards ..Just a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

8. Feb 18, 2008 #8

Homesteader

Homesteader

Homesteader

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

Loyalistdawg, I'd almost forgotten these posts. Good ones. I did a lot of research myself before coming up with my "persona", and if you check it out you'll see it's almost a mirror image of yours in many ways.

From what I've read the Revolution especially bred a tremendous number of purely personal conflicts. Ideology meant little to most folk, I believe. The war in the South especially was truly a civil war, with men taking the opportunity to even scores, work out grudges, that sort of thing. (More so than the War between the States, even!) That had to play the same way throughout the colonies, thousands of times.

Anyway, congrats on an interesting and well thought out character. (If you wind up in the Carolina backwoods, I'll try to fire over your head. Maybe.) :hatsoff:

9. Feb 25, 2008 #9

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.

Hello Home steader
    Yes and thank You so much ... I enjoy this part of the hobby also.. well it is becoming a life style is it not? well my deepest respect and thanks a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

10. Mar 30, 2008 #10

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.

Hello Guys
    Yes check out Homesteader's personia very good indeed..
    well my best regards a loyalist Dawg

11. Apr 1, 2008 #11

Homesteader

Homesteader

Homesteader

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

Thank you Sir. I take that as quite a compliment.

(Now I definitely will fire over your head if I see you down here in my backwoods. Your compatriots, however... they're on their own.)

:wink:

12. Jan 25, 2009 #12

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.

:thumbsup: Well I am back, the last season was filled with striking revenge we enjoyed the camp fires after, and of course the King's ale.. well cheers brothers of the smoke pole lets keep in touch, My deepest respect just "a Loyalist Dawg"
    Oh and "GOD SAVE THE KING"!!!! :hatsoff:

13. Apr 16, 2009 #13

Robert Scheffler

Robert Scheffler

Robert Scheffler

40 Cal.

I was reading my wife's family tree bookand found a story a lot akin to yours only it was the other way around. This young aide to Gen. Washington had to bring his wife along with him because their home was amidst a community of tories. The good part of it is that because of it, now I can read things that she passed on about G.W. that aren't in the history books.

14. May 8, 2009 #14

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.

Hello Huns Foot
    Wow that would be awesome to read.. maybe you should publish them
    Cheers my friend ... A Loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

15. Jun 24, 2009 #15

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.

ok guys so how do I edit this?
    lol
    best regards a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

16. Jun 24, 2009 #16

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Members have 30 minutes from the time of posting to edit or delete their post.

17. Jun 29, 2009 #17

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.

Hey Claud
    Yes I was wondering if I wanted to add to this topic sort of like a running life changes of a persona
    well cheers and my best regards a Loyalistdawg :hatsoff:

18. Dec 17, 2009 #18

Karl Helweg

Karl Helweg

Karl Helweg

40 Cal.

[​IMG] I accidentally joined "Hardin's Rangers" which is the F&I side of the Company of Over(the)Mountain Men. Oddly later I found that our uniforms might have been based on Rev. War era art rather than F&I and that according to The American Provincial Corps 1775-84 there was a detachment of Queen's Rangers at Kings Mountain too.

By some luck it seems that my ranger uniform is similar to Russian Jaeger uniforms which might have been seen here in late 18th century Alaska.

19. May 10, 2010 #19

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.

awesome picture what a kewl uniform ... cheers :hatsoff:

20. Apr 24, 2013 #20

snidervolley

snidervolley

snidervolley

40 Cal.

i have an awesome study from one of the major colleges on pulling truth out of history written on what really happened april19th on lexington green taking all sworn statements and applied circumstances each statement was taken in
    way cool read