• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Rods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YIKES!!!!
If I did that the rod for the Bess would weigh more than the gun!!!!! The 3/8" rod with a jag and guide work great......

I should have added that 3/8" is usually as big as you need to go to get a good grip. I try to give people credit for at least a modicum of common sense when posting. However, I guess someone might take it literally and try to use a 3/4" rod on a big bore. You never know. :)

I've got at least a dozen Todd, including some non-breakable ones that are sitting in a tube. Most are threaded 8X32 on one end and 10X32 on the other. I made handles to screw on either end and don't have a problem with jags or pulling.

I have been using an aluminum shot gun cleaning rod that I modified to take 10/32 threads.

I should have added that 3/8" is usually as big as you need to go to get a good grip. I try to give people credit for at least a modicum of common sense when posting. However, I guess someone might take it literally and try to use a 3/4" rod on a big bore. You never know. :)

Well, I would think that too, but when the original post says;
" I also have a Tenn. Long Rifle Kit/parts with a 42" barrel. Although the 44 is a little long for the GPR I was going to go with that . Anybody have any thoughts"
Then I would also think that if you have a 42" barrel you would need a rod a little longer than the barrel. It seems apparent to me that one would not buy a 36" rod for a 42" barrel, so maybe clarifying a rod diameter for that individual may also be important....

Reminds me of an old electricians rule for our apprentices:
"If the ID of the conduit is smaller than the OD of the wire - it ain't gonna fit...."

When you buy rods, get the largest diameter that will fit the bore. Nothing is worse than trying to load/clean a .62cal. rifle with a quarter inch rod. A tight patch and wet rod will be hard to pull. Like the rest of the folks I have a selection of rods. I got tired of looking for jags so I bought rods for each claiber.
I make my own as well but have found they always need to be used with a down bore rod guide to keep the muzzle safe. A brass rod will saw out a muzzle crown too if not keep perfectly clean plus they are not as rigid strong as a steel rod. A good rod guide can be as simple as a brass cartridge case that has an outside diameter slip fit in the bore and has the primer pocket drilled out to fit your rod OD.

My range rod is a steel rod with handle and a 10/32nd end for jags, etc. 5/16 or 3/8 depending on how good your eyes read a plastic ruler, 36-1/2" in length. I use it for everything from a .32 cal crockett to a 60/20ga smoothbore gun with the appropriate jags. Got enough stuff to keep track of without having separate rods for each caliber.

I remember at Rendezvous years ago, I met a gentleman who had what they called a Wonder Rod.
He had a system, if the ramrod was in the barrel the rifle was loaded & ready to shoot. We were chatting during a shoot, he was leaning on his ramrod when all of a sudden it was his turn to shoot. He goes up to the shooting line and fires his Wonder Rod down the range, the biggest piece was about 4" long after he shot it out of his barrel. Funniest part was he gathered all the pieced he could find and sent them in, they sent him a new replacement Wonder Rod.

AntiqueSledMan.

Use Locktite Blue. It hold pretty well, but can be removed without heating. Yes, heat will loosen the grip of most of the hold fast versions of locktite.

If you only have one rod and several calibers that use that rod, just get used to retightening the jag after each use.

Ox Yoke sells brass rods. I bought one. Be aware the particular brass they are made of is not readily machinable. I had to take to a machinist to cut threads for a handle. Try to get one of their made to length for your rifle. Brass is heavy. This is definitely not a field rod.

Back