• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Range Rods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ideally, you should have a range rod for every gun. Especially if the barrels are of considerable length difference, but also if they are of different calibers.

I bought one T handle 3/8" brass from October Country.
Later I bought a 4" and then a 9" extension for it.
One range rod, tough as nails, good for almost every gun I go to the range with.
I just leave it in the truck. The T handle is really handy for pulling a dry ball.
Stand on the T and pull the gun up off the ball and rod. Fast and easy.....
I use a black marker to mark empty and loaded for the gun I am shooting, then clean it off when I clean the gun.
No sense in complicating something as easy as a range rod....

With a good cutter with carbide discs, it can be done.

Well, I suppose, but which end are you going to cut ?
Cut the jag end and you now have to re-drill and thread the end. Best done in a lathe, which is also the best place to cut it.
Cut the pommel end and you have that to contend with.

When you buy rods, get the largest diameter that will fit the bore. Nothing is worse than trying to load/clean a .62cal. rifle with a quarter inch rod. A tight patch and wet rod will be hard to pull. Like the rest of the folks I have a selection of rods. I got tired of looking for jags so I bought rods for each claiber.

When you buy rods, get the largest diameter that will fit the bore. Nothing is worse than trying to load/clean a .62cal. rifle with a quarter inch rod. A tight patch and wet rod will be hard to pull. Like the rest of the folks I have a selection of rods. I got tired of looking for jags so I bought rods for each claiber.

Excellent point. :thumb:

YIKES!!!!
If I did that the rod for the Bess would weigh more than the gun!!!!! The 3/8" rod with a jag and guide work great......

I have a Lyman GPR. TOW has two lengths of range rod 44" and 36". I also have a Tenn. Long Rifle Kit/parts with a 42" barrel. Although the 44 is a little long for the GPR I was going to go with that . Anybody have any thoughts
Since you have just the two rifles, I would suggest getting the longer rod to serve both rifles. I also like the notion of getting the 36" rod with a 9" extension to enable use with both rifles. First choice still is the longer rod with cleaning accessories (and ball puller and patch removal tools) for both rifles. Of course include a muzzle guard.

When I bought my 3/8" rod I bought for the longest gun I had, and then bought extensions as the long rifle collection grew.
It worked out great, I carry the rod and the extension ride along in the range box, ready when needed.

I recommend you locktight in the jag. I had to shoot one out after it unscrewed on top of the ball. Needless to say, I didn't find it afterwards.

Well, I suppose, but which end are you going to cut ?
Cut the jag end and you now have to re-drill and thread the end. Best done in a lathe, which is also the best place to cut it.
Cut the pommel end and you have that to contend with.

It’s a simple matter to drill and tap the end for 10x32 or 8x32 thread.

I have several steal solid range rods (started out with short for inline barrels), then 36 for flinter & then a 46 for 44 barreled Lancaster , But the best is a surplus army .50 machinegun take down rod, brass and in 4 sections I can make the length I need for what ever gun I'm shooting that day and it fits in the range box or fanny pack ! All the above have a muzzle protector for each one.
Range rods are great unless you forgot it at home :(

Yes, for you or I perhaps, but I've seen a lot of people have trouble drilling a straight hole. Also not everyone is that mechanically inclined.

True.

I prefer brass for a range rod. Stainless offers 0 benefit. If you’re pounding the load down the bore so hard you need a stainless rod, you are absolutely doing it wrong. I use wood for all of my field shooting and delrin for range use.

I like ordinary steel for a range rod, but stainless steel has better "user resilience".
I miss the old days when you went to a Vous and there was always somebody selling nice range rods, and other associated gear.

Back