• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Range Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would probably be strong enough to pull the ball, but a T handle gives you so many options on where anchor your rod for the pulling.

My vote is for the T handle and based on that all my rods have T Handles.

I could not see the rod that you are asking about so what I would tell you is that to pull a ball as large as .58 caliber, you need to e able to get a good grip on the rod and all connections need to be strong. That means that all screw connections need to be steel and as large as possible. Something like a brass 8-32 would strip out. Also, you need to cross pin that handle and any tips on your rod to keep the tip or handle from pulling off. In the end, you just can't beat a steel rod with a tee handle and a ball puller with a large (10-32) steel screw connection. Don't forget to get a muzzle protector for your rod.

I've got a rod like this and while using it for cleaning I tried to turn the rod/jag/patch combination to clean the bottom of the breech and the handle turned loose from the rod so I'd think this rod is not a good one to pull a ball with as you'd probably pull the handle off the rod. 2nd the T-handle option.

Billnpatti said:
In the end, you just can't beat a steel rod with a tee handle and a ball puller with a large (10-32) steel screw connection.

Clearly range rods have many other uses, but for purely getting a stuck ball removed or to blow out a charge without shooting it out, I would contend that nothing beats a CO2 discharger! One second and done. :v

I am of the personal opinion that pulling a ball is the method of last resort but he specifically asked about a rod that would serve that purpose. A CO2 discharger is probably the ideal method with shooting out the ball coming in in second place. Some folks have access to sufficient air pressure to blow out the ball that way. Using a gease fitting will certainly get teh job done but is really messy to clean up.

I prefer a 1.5 inch ball polycarbonate ball to a T-handle personally.I also like a one piece stainless steel rod 5/16's or 3/8's in diameter.
They last for ever and are plenty strong for either pushing or pulling balls when used with a brass or Delrin muzzle bushing.

This is just too simple. Any time that I've ever gotten a stuck ball, for whatever reason, I just remove the nipple, put a grain or two of BP in there, screw the nipple back in and shoot it out. Never has failed me yet.

I also favor this type of range rod but I also have some S.S. rods with maple ball ends that are nice. Never did like the wimpy non-metal rods that were like a wet noodle.

Oh, those flexible Delrin rods are about as handy as a football bat. I have one and it never comes out of my closet. I'm afraid someone might see me with it in my hands. :haha: :haha:

i shoot a .58 with 44 inch barrel. I use the 3/8 brass range rod with T handle. I stand on the T to pull balls, I can pull one before the guys around me know I dry balled. I dry balled 5 times one year shooting at rendezvous where i was running my mouth instead of paying attention. they might have laughed about the dry ball but they applauded how quick I can pull them and get back in the game, the T handle can also be used to knap flint. Do that with a plastic gear shift ball

Billnpatti said:
Oh, those flexible Delrin rods are about as handy as a football bat. I have one and it never comes out of my closet. I'm afraid someone might see me with it in my hands. :haha: :haha:

I liked mine fine and it lasted 20+ years till some dummy stacked a load of oak on it :idunno:

Back