• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

range rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At the range (i.e. not hunting or field use), do you use the ramrod which comes with the rifle?
Or do you use a separate ramrod?

Separate.
The only time I use the factory/installed rod is in the field.
All range/competition shooting and cleaning is done with a specific gun designated range rod that has installed muzzle protection.

Separate.
The only time I use the factory/installed rod is in the field.
All range/competition shooting and cleaning is done with a specific gun designated range rod that has installed muzzle protection.

what do you utilize for muzzle protection?

At the range (i.e. not hunting or field use), do you use the ramrod which comes with the rifle?
Or do you use a separate ramrod?
Use a one piece range rod with a well fitting down bore brass or delrin rod guide for most of your shooting and only use the wood loading rod when hunting. There was a reason that the old timers were regularly freshing out their bores after a season or two in the mountains and the grit impregnated wood loading rods were sawing out their soft iron barrel crowns.

I always have the range rod with me when I go to the range to shoot. But 95% of the time I load with the underbarrel wood rod. The reason is that I shoot tight loads and have no use for any load I couldn't easily load with it when in the bush.

ok cool, I got some of those in an estate sale collection and had no idea what they were... I'll have to rummage and sort now and figure out what I have!
:), Just remember, it's always a "Murphy".
You can dig around all ya want, it won't matter,,, You won't find them until you've given up and order new one's,,
When the new ones show up,, then you'll find them,, it's usually about two weeks,,,,,,😇

I have always used the wood rod, just stubborn and love the old traditional ways...however, that said I have finally broke down and purchased my very first Range Rod. Why? Because I have broken the wood one four times over the last ten years, couple times slicing my fingers. The a few weeks ago I had a stuck ball half way down (on the range) and not wanting to break another rod I pulled out my heavier rose wood sectional cleaning rod, ran it down, it broke and Tore My Hand, badly.

That was it, so I went with October County's brass rod with Elk horn handle, just used it for the first time - I love it, my wooden rod will now only be used for hunting and demonstrators.

Question: Steel vs Brass
What would the preference of steel over brass be?
I went with brass as I figured it was a softer metal and less abuse on the barrel.
Is there an advantage of one over the other?

Not really. Steel is stronger and maybe less prone to being bent but should be used with a bore guide.
Brass? Looks cool, patinas nicely, no bore guide required.

wm

Back