• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Range rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now that I have patterns figured out with my SxS, I'm ready to start having fun shooting at clay targets at our local 5 stand. Any suggestions on what type of range ramrod to use and where to get one? Track of the Wolf?

Also, can someone tell me the nipple thread size for Pedersoli shotguns? Not sure how fast they wear out, but want to make sure I have a spare on hand.

A range rod is not a necessity for a shotgun since you are not loading tight patched balls. But if you feel you must, any brass or steel rod from the vendors mentioned will suit you fine.

I use an extra long delrin rod for cleaning and for a range rod.
IMG_20150201_125517_721.jpgIMG_20150201_125610_808.jpg
The ".50 cal." Designation just means that it comes with a .50 caliber jag. I attach standard 20 gauge jag or bore mop and it works great for cleaning or loading.

As someone mentioned, probably not needed for most of my shot loads, but, now and then things get tight and it's nice to have a rod that won't break and skewer your arm or hand.

I make my own out of stainless steel rod and attach a wood ball or make a aluminum Tee handle like what is on the G.I. 50 cal cleaning rod which you can buy also but it is a bit long. You also want a brass or nylon muzzle protector.:thumb:;).

For that type of shooting, with a relatively high round count in civilized surroundings, I might respectfully suggest a 5/8" x 36" hardwood dowel, selected for straight grain but with no further modification. This would provide a good hand-hold, and would be stiff and resistant to breakage. Also cheap and replaceable. You would not have the advantage of a muzzle guide or protector, as you might with a commercial range rod, but that's the only disadvantage I can think of.

Enjoy your gun! Let us know how you do, busting those clays!

Notchy Bob

Thanks everyone, ordered one from TOW since I also need a few other items on their website.

Notchy Bob, we'll be shooting at clays this weekend. I'll try to remember my GOPRO and get a little video of a friend trying has chance a breaking clays.

I use an extra long delrin rod for cleaning and for a range rod.
View attachment 80490View attachment 80491
The ".50 cal." Designation just means that it comes with a .50 caliber jag. I attach standard 20 gauge jag or bore mop and it works great for cleaning or loading.

As someone mentioned, probably not needed for most of my shot loads, but, now and then things get tight and it's nice to have a rod that won't break and skewer your arm or hand.
MSM has been gone a long time??
NW

Notchy Bob, we'll be shooting at clays this weekend. I'll try to remember my GOPRO and get a little video of a friend trying has chance a breaking clays.
That would be great!

I've only shot clays a couple of times. I will say every one of them broke to pieces... as soon as they hit the ground!

We will look forward to seeing the video.

Notchy Bob

Mountain State Muzzleloading is doing business as Cain's Outdoors, or at least it was before Covid. Same location in Boaz WV. The younger Cains were more interested in branching out to other markets after Mr. Cain passed. Got some nipples from them via that big online auction outfit about a year ago, so they still have some ML products.

Pedersolis SxS use 1/4 28 nipples. One would expect metric, but all four of mine (2 old style, two new style) are 1/4 28. (I got well over 5000 rounds out of the factory nipples in my 20 bore.)

Back