• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range rod carrier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was at this muzzleloading show the other day and an old timer was down-sizing his equipment. At eighty something he was having a hard time getting around and is considering that he isn’t able to participate like he used to.

Long story short, he had a range rod carrier or maybe he actually called it a quiver and I asked him about it. Basically, it was a leather quiver except it was about twice as long as you’d expect for a bow hunting application. I asked about it and he explained it is to carry your range rod around while you are walking through a shoot.

I pictured the idea and didn’t really see the value until now. Now, I am kicking myself for not giving him the $20 asking price.

Are these common? I’ve never seen one but maybe they used to be common. Does anyone sell them?

I built one out of PVC pipe. Joined 2 pieces together with a coupler. Added a nose cap and one of those threaded ends that take a screw in plug and drilled holes in all of it to prevent any condensation. I used pipes that were just a little bigger than the handle of my range rod. Don’t have to woods about my rod getting bent or anything

Saw one guy do this and he fought the entire shoot to get it in and out of the quiver - definitely not something I’d do.
For serious paper target shooting I use a range rod (at the loading bench) but a woods walk is meant to me a hunting style shoot, carry what you need and use what you carry. Anything else is unnecessary.
Btw I have used a lighter patch on woods walks to ease the loading process with the skinny wooden ramrod

So I was at this muzzleloading show the other day and an old timer was down-sizing his equipment. At eighty something he was having a hard time getting around and is considering that he isn’t able to participate like he used to.

Long story short, he had a range rod carrier or maybe he actually called it a quiver and I asked him about it. Basically, it was a leather quiver except it was about twice as long as you’d expect for a bow hunting application. I asked about it and he explained it is to carry your range rod around while you are walking through a shoot.

I pictured the idea and didn’t really see the value until now. Now, I am kicking myself for not giving him the $20 asking price.

Are these common? I’ve never seen one but maybe they used to be common. Does anyone sell them?
My H+A under hammer did not use a ram rod under the barrel , custom stock did not allow for it so I made a hair on leather quiver so I could take my Tee handled brass ram rod over my shoulder balancing my day bag . Worked so well it went hunting with my TC Renegades too ! /Ed

I dunno if this would be practical, but could a way be devised to have a ramrod in the thimbles that has a bore guide on it and maybe a knob on the end of it with a channel cut for the barrel? You could potentially have all the advantages of a range rod with the relative convenience of an under-barrel carried ramrod. This is one of my project ideas for the upcoming spring/summer. It would probably look best on a full-stock rifle.

As a general practice I normally use the underbarrel wood rod for all reloading at the range and about everywhere else. I've got a few range rods and always take one with me as a backup. I no longer hunt but when I did any load that wouldn't work at the range with the wood rod was useless to me in the woods. I shoot rather tight loads but they all seat nicely with just the wooden stick.

On one rifle I put a knob on a rod along with a bore protector and used that exclusively. It fit under the barrel and never got in the way and worked like a charm.

I make extra long gun cases out of old jeans fabric. There is a drawstring for the but end. I secure the the range rod to the outside of the case. I tie the rod with the draw string at one end. The other end is secured with the excess gun case fabric, a small buggee or a length of chord. Two little bungees will do the same thing on any case.

I used to put he rod inside the case. The knurled bore guide messed up a stock on a nice rifle.

Latest posts

Back