• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Rod advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like metal range rods so much I replaced my wooden ramrods with brass rods. Makes the gun a little heavier, but I never worry about breaking my rod and getting a huge splinter of wood impale my hand. Almost happened one day and I haven't used wooden ones since.

what are thoughts on range rods. one piece or 3 or 4 pieces. aluminum or stainless steel or brass. round handle or t handle. so many to choose from.
I have a sectional steel one with enough sections and a muzzle guard to get to the bottom of any gun I own, the rare times I need to. I load with my wooden ramrods for the most part, but the steel one is handy. I don't care for aluminum mainly because I believe that the oxide on them is hard enough to abrade the barrels. Also they tend to be bendy ( at least the ones I am familiar with). Brass is ok, I just don't have any. I also use a ball-bearing handled rod, mostly for cleaning with a jag and patch; that rod is spring steel, covered with a durably plastic coating, so it doesn't abrade. Jointed rods are nice because they will fit into your shooting box easier. The choice is ultimately yours.

I like metal range rods so much I replaced my wooden ramrods with brass rods. Makes the gun a little heavier, but I never worry about breaking my rod and getting a huge splinter of wood impale my hand. Almost happened one day and I haven't used wooden ones since.
I still use hickory rods, but I bought them in bulk. I culled out the one's with grain run out. They can be used for dowels on wood projects. The one's that have no grain run out should not break unless they are bent considerably.

I bought a 3/8" brass rod from machine shop to use as a range rod for .45 and .50, have a 1/2" that I use on .54

I still use hickory rods, but I bought them in bulk. I culled out the one's with grain run out. They can be used for dowels on wood projects. The one's that have no grain run out should not break unless they are bent considerably.
indeed, but that big jagged splinter staring me in the face and it dawning on me just how close I came to disaster was enough for me. If I use a wood rod it will be a loose patch/ball combo or a conical.

I have SS, Brass, Delrin & Wood. All of mine are one piece. I tried the Brass but it's not my favorite. I use the SS at matches and at home, have "T" handle on one, ball on a couple, both are fine. I cut the Delrin to length of Rifle to use during Woodswalk matches,(Leaving the wooden Rod at home) lite weight and no worries about breaking and splintering with possibly getting stabbed in the wrist or hand. The Wooden ones are built with Brass tips from TOW with worm on one end, 10-32 for cleaning jag or other tools as needed on the other end and I will leave them in the rifle for more period correct times such as Rondy and hunting. For me, its about Safety First, and having FUN. Accidents happen and that takes most of the FUN away. Just my TCW. Thanks for several good tips on here!

Stainless rod from Rice Barrel. Comes with muzzle protector and round handle.

This is what I bought for my .40 build. It's 5/16" and came with a 8-32 thread, all my accessories are 10-32 so I chucked it up in my lathe and drilled and tapped to a 10-32, then made an aluminum bore guide that would drop in the bore. I need to make a T handle for when I stick a ball.

Last edited:
Used a wooden rod for all of my loading for a few years, until a rod broke and went through a shooting partners hand. Went to Delron and have stayed there ever since. On the back end of the rod I double pinned a 10-32 and made a handle if/when needed. Put a 8-32 and a 10-32 on it to possibly help others.
Doc,
520F1639-45BF-4A25-AC70-E0AC827CD3AA.jpeg

I also have a Delrin rod but never use it. It fit a rifle I no longer have and doesn't fit anything I currently own. They are probably the safest rods around.

Years ago, Thompson/Center offered a yellow synthetic rod with a big ball at the top and an the rod was very smooth and slick. Very easy to wipe off after use. I sold mine with a rifle to sweeten the deal. Wish I had not done that. It was a good rod. I think the TOW stainless ones with the rod guide are very good. I use a rod I made from hickory. It works real well. I keep it in a PVC tube with caps covered in leather.

"Uncle Mikes" over there in USA had a good one, came in sections that could be locktite together. I bought mine way back in the 80's, still have it to this day.

" Maybe one just finds it entertaining to get folks who purport to be dedicated to traditional muzzleloaders to advocate using a .50 BMG cleaning rod in said traditional guns? "
This is a big fraternity with a lot of diversity. I love my traditional long rifle. But I don't do period dress. Is Dawn in your cleaning water traditional? How about ultrasonic cleaners? I am dedicated to my long rifle. I am not dedicated to cooking in my fireplace or otherwise trying to live 200 years ago.
To each his own.

Philistine !
I can't believe that you Americanese Muzzle loaders don't go the whole way with primitive lifestyle, butchering Deer and Hawgs in the Lounge room while watching Jeremiah Johnson re-runs; gawd almighty its all turned plastic since Biden & the Harris creature stole the White House.

Thanks for the post was shopping last night for a new one piece rod. I just bought a caywood Fowler and my 3piece rod isn’t quite long enough. I like the different perspectives.

Back