• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Rod advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a metal range rod that I carry and it fits into my FUZZE FIN, Oon trail walks. I keep the original one at home.

as others stated, good ole .50 cal cleaning rod kit, can add or remove sections for length, take a section to local hardware / plumbing and find a brass tapered fitting that slides over it to act as muzzle guard.

Attachments

• 20171016_173110.jpg
    20171016_173110.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 35
What’s more curious is the conversation continues as if you never said anything.
It's just like the stuck ball, what's the best lube, what's the best solvent, or Ballistol threads. People just can't resist telling others what they use & how superior it is to what others use. Why bother to read any of the post?

One piece solid brass rod with muzzle protector. I bought from Cains years ago.

I used brass for many years, and then tried aluminum. Brass leaves shmutz on your hands, aluminum does not. Brass rod is very heavy, aluminum is plenty stiff enough. I make ball handles or antler T handles. T is better for pulling balls, ball is more comfortable for lots of loading/cleaning in a match. So I have both! Bore protectors on both, always.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:
Most of mine are fiberglass. 2-3 times a year I give them a coat of polyurethane to keep them smooth and sliver free. Haven't damaged a barrel in 52 years of using them.

" Maybe one just finds it entertaining to get folks who purport to be dedicated to traditional muzzleloaders to advocate using a .50 BMG cleaning rod in said traditional guns? "
This is a big fraternity with a lot of diversity. I love my traditional long rifle. But I don't do period dress. Is Dawn in your cleaning water traditional? How about ultrasonic cleaners? I am dedicated to my long rifle. I am not dedicated to cooking in my fireplace or otherwise trying to live 200 years ago.
To each his own.

Also, with a brass rod you don't run the risk of causing sparks, as with something like steel on steel. Safety first. :)
It is highly unlikely that a metal rod will cause sparks which will reach powder in the barrel. in fact, it's impossible. You will have a patched ball between the spark and the powder.

Also, with a brass rod you don't run the risk of causing sparks, as with something like steel on steel. Safety first. :)
The steel used for a range rod is not hardened and tempered to draw a spark. If used with a brass bore guide, there is no danger of creating a spark. I prefer a brass or steel rod for a working rod. Aluminum can be very abrasive so it requires a bore protector. Wood is best for hunting and infrequent use.

what are thoughts on range rods. one piece or 3 or 4 pieces. aluminum or stainless steel or brass. round handle or t handle. so many to choose from.
I made a one piece, 48” rod, 5/16 steel, threaded 8-32, with a 10-32 adapter. Made a swivel handle and a bore guide and it does it all. Careful to wipe the grit off of it before each use - it is always in the box of my truck.

multi-piece brass with T-handle, usually leave it in one piece so it needs a little gun lube to break it apart if needed. Works great for loading, or for pulling balls.

The smiley was intended to ensure that no one really took this seriously, but was just a little humor about debating advantages of different rod materials. Would anyone really believe that a stainless rod in a BP barrel would cause sparks? Oh, well. Missed again. 🤷‍♂️ I need to drop the humor or add a lot more emojis. :confused::rolleyes: (<- probably not enough here either)

For the range I have a one-piece flexible plastic rod, one in .45 and one in.50 calibre. For cleaning at home, I recently bought a one-piece 44-inch carbon fiber rod with a brass muzzle protector and different calibre size jags. Rotating handle lets the jag and cleaning patch follow the rifling.

Years ago, Thompson/Center offered a yellow synthetic rod with a big ball at the top and an the rod was very smooth and slick. Very easy to wipe off after use. I sold mine with a rifle to sweeten the deal. Wish I had not done that. It was a good rod. I think the TOW stainless ones with the rod guide are very good. I use a rod I made from hickory. It works real well. I keep it in a PVC tube with caps covered in leather.

Uncle Sam's surplus .50 BMG cleaning rod. Multi piece, it will work on the longest rifle and can be shortened for carbines. The end section is slotted and threaded for jags, brushes, etc.
Good idea! Where did you buy yours?
Uncle Sam's surplus .50 BMG cleaning rod. Multi piece, it will work on the longest rifle and can be shortened for carbines. The end section is slotted and threaded for jags, brushes, etc.
Mr. W
Where did you buy yours?
Thanks

Back