• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
img294_edited-1_zps98a38a60.jpg

Two 50 yard bench targets from my .58 rifled musket with .570 swaged round ball. Target on the left was shot using the peep hole drilled through the bottom of the 300 yard leaf. Right target was with the hundred yard issue sight. Still shooting about 4 inches high at 50, so my front sight still has to rest below the spot. I'm pretty pleased with the groups as the bench was too short to get a rest for my right elbow. Next project is to sight in the minie ball, which I hope will shoot dead on at this distance. Would have begun work with the minie, but left my lube at home. :doh:

Not bad at all. You have some good groupsthere.
Your making good progress. Keep us posted.
Some pics of you rifle would be nice too.

I would be satisfied with those groups myself! But I have that one shot that will mess up the group too. :idunno: It usually happens somewhere around the 3rd or 4th shot :surrender: . Let us know how the mini's shoot. 58's sure do leave a big hole in the paper!. BTW, how much powder did you put behind that .570?

musket2_edited-1_zps37a020bd.jpg

I am loading 50 grains of 3f Swiss, pillow ticking patch lubed with ballistol and water. Dry wiping with paper towels between shots. I think the group will tighten with a better rest, and a front sight that holds dead on. Happy with the trigger work I performed with a diamond hone. Still a bit heavy, but no creep at all.

Back