• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Report with question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
3rd trip to the 50 yard line today wth GPR Signature Series,50 cal, flintlock, 1:48. From a bench, it shoots almost same hole with 60 gr of real black, .490 ball, .010 patch, with a lubed felt overpower wad. Spent patches picture perfect. It is the most accurate rifle, at that distance, I have ever shot. All my other rifles are smokeless - a 45/70, a 22mag, and a M1A, all with peep sights, but none group as well as this GPR with factory sights, which are a huge improvement over the Investarms model.
However, more than 60 grains spreads the group too much. I mean too much for my liking. I reckon such a thing as only "one good load" is inherent to most any 1:48 twist barrel. Never hunted with a powder charge that small, which is worrisome. I certainly don't want to use a bullet; just don't seem mountain man like.
What do you reckon? Anyone here ever used 60 or less in a fifty on deer with a prb? I s'pose I will have to try it to know for sure. I reckon I'm just looking for someone to say it'll be just fine.
As an aside, this is also the first flinter I've had that is a bit faster with bevel down.
Thanks for any opinions or experiences.

3rd trip to the 50 yard line today wth GPR Signature Series,50 cal, flintlock, 1:48. From a bench, it shoots almost same hole with 60 gr of real black, .490 ball, .010 patch, with a lubed felt overpower wad. Spent patches picture perfect. It is the most accurate rifle, at that distance, I have ever shot. All my other rifles are smokeless - a 45/70, a 22mag, and a M1A, all with peep sights, but none group as well as this GPR with factory sights, which are a huge improvement over the Investarms model.
However, more than 60 grains spreads the group too much. I mean too much for my liking. I reckon such a thing as only "one good load" is inherent to most any 1:48 twist barrel. Never hunted with a powder charge that small, which is worrisome. I certainly don't want to use a bullet; just don't seem mountain man like.
What do you reckon? Anyone here ever used 60 or less in a fifty on deer with a prb? I s'pose I will have to try it to know for sure. I reckon I'm just looking for someone to say it'll be just fine.
As an aside, this is also the first flinter I've had that is a bit faster with bevel down.
Thanks for any opinions or experiences.
I am not a hunter so can't help you with a kill load, but try a thicker patch for better group at higher powder charge. .010 is a bit thin to me.
Larry

My wife uses 70 grains of 2fg and has shot full length on whitetail. Consider the heavier patch if you want more powder, I shoot 110 grains no wad with a tight patch in a 54 and get fine accuracy.

1 in 48 sounds like one of those compromise bores that is supposed to shoot PRB or bullet equally for hunting. Like the old TC barrels. faster than 60 grains might be just enough to cause some skipping of the patch over the rifling. A tighter patch and ball combination may help as suggested. Some folks can shoot shallow groove in lines extremely well with very moderate powder loads and PRB's. like 30 grains of powder in a 1:22 twist. How deep is your rifling?

As others have mentioned, go to a thicker patch, it's asking a lot for a .010 patch to do it's job with higher charges...It may be burning through or starting to skip the rifling with the higher velocities, at any rate, that's where I would start...I'd feel better with 75grs for deer...

My 50 cal load is 70gr which has been very effective on deer I’ve shot out to 70 yards. The MV difference between 60 and 70 gr should not make that much of a difference, and lessens even further as the distance increases.
F809D2F1-E451-428C-9C5D-0673350AC589.jpeg2FB9327E-A6FA-4983-8F3C-2BBCE87C0CED.jpeg

Thanks guys. Especially Art C. That charts relieves my brain. Not all that much difference between 60 and 80 grains. I have tried .015 patches. Even with a clean bore it is very difficult to get a 490 ball rammed home. 495 ball requires a mallet.

You are correct sir. I've taken lots. Longbows, muzzle guns, and 45Colt revolver. I reckon I didn't think of it that way when I dialed in with just 60grns of 3F. You make a good point.

Grouping like that will give you great confidence. If you need more, and your range allows, put a scrap piece of plywood down range and see what your ball pushed by 60 grains will do.

Keep up that good shooting, the deer don't stand a chance!

IMHO forget all the thicker patch suggestions if your 1 holing your target and patches are "picture perfect" as you say. 60 grains is listed as a min. charge in some states, so I am betting its powerful enough, if the wildlife comm. gives it a thumbsup.

Shot placement is more important than power (and 60gr ought to be plenty). The old man who taught me to hunt kept food on the table during the depression with a .22, shot his deer in the eye, upper spine, or brain.

Mike, my first rifle was a Pedersoli Tryon in 50 cal with a 1 in 48 twist. I used it to hunt deer with 50 grains of FFG (Wano is all I can get over here in Australia). I used a cast round ball, pure lead, and a .015 patch. My technique was to sight the rifle in on an eight inch circle, using six oclock as the aiming point, getting shots to hit the centre of the target. That way, in the field, I would put the bead on the animal's leg where it met the body and all shots out to 65 metres would be in the kill zone. I liked this technique, rather than point of aim, because I didn't lose the sight in low light conditions. Where I hunt, early mornings, late afternoons and shadows seem to provide the best opportunities to fetch some meat. I like to get in close; the maxim is to always be humane, no shots further than 65 metres and well placed - let the animal walk on by if unsure. 50 grains will do you well given these conditions. I do like a broadside shot; I have only ever taken a Texas heart shot on one occasion, that time in very close, aiming between the lower hams - I was surprised how far the ball travelled, into the boiler room.

Oh, I did swap the 50 Tryon out only last year to match my Hawken in 54. Not for any other reason than not wanting to mix up calibres. Two 54's seemed more efficient to my mind. Use that 50 with 50grains; you'll do well. I wish you all the best and look forward to a field report in the future.

Here's a pic after a successful outing with the .50 Tryon.

Pete
C7.jpg

Back