• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range report with 777, Pyrodex P and Goex fffg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still shooting the last half of a container of 777 3F in my 1851 Uberti that was purchased in 2007 (I wrote the year of purchase on the container) and it has not lost any power, and it has not clumped.

I prefer real black powder but I do keep a few cans of 777 around.

I only buy 2F 777 now because it can be used in my 12 gauge caplock, my percussion revolvers and also to load modern cartridges.

The 2F 777 gives performance very close to 3F black powder in my revolvers.

The biggest problem In muzzleloading today is self appointed purity experts gate keeping the hobby. Use what works for you and what is safe.

Pyrodex and 777 work. Are they the best? Depends on your goals and applications. What is best is for the individual shooter to decide.

I use pyrodex in my inline rifles 100% of the time and in my cap and ball revolvers from time to time. I use BP in in my smooth bore muskets and rifled BP rifles 100%.

I don’t see what the big deal is the substitutes do the same thing. It’s really a personal preference.

Btw I don’t smoke cigarettes or drink beer. I smoke 1-2 cigars a week and drink maybe a bottle of whiskey a year.
I agree Kyle. I use a substitute snd am happy with it. Never understood the holy grail of B P but won't argue with it either. Happy hunting.

The biggest problem In muzzleloading today is self appointed purity experts gate keeping the hobby. Use what works for you and what is safe.

Pyrodex and 777 work. Are they the best? Depends on your goals and applications. What is best is for the individual shooter to decide.

I use pyrodex in my inline rifles 100% of the time and in my cap and ball revolvers from time to time. I use BP in in my smooth bore muskets and rifled BP rifles 100%.
Well said Bat Boy.

The subs sound different and also "smoke" different, if that matters to anyone.

The real black has that deep BOOM and blows a cloud of dense, charcoal smoke. The subs have a louder, sharper BANG and give you a white could of acrid smelling smoke.

If I'm just shooting for fun I really don't care, if I'm in the mood for the "black powder experience" I'll use real BP.

Quick trip to shoot the Invest arms 58 last Sunday. Grabbed the 777 2f cuz it was on top. PRB w/Mink oil and 90 gr. 65 yds 3/4" group one inside the other (really close look shows same hole). Smoked, boomed, cleaned. Will advise if the local cow elk have issues.

I prefer to burn real black powder and always have, its part of the tradition, which to me is important. But rest assured, there is 777 and Pyrodex in my cabinet. The most important thing, IMHO, is to make sure you have something to burn.

Back